Motivation,apathy,intrusive thoughts and anhedonia

Hi guys.I’ve been away from this forum for a long time.I hope everyone is doing well.
Now,I’ve a few issues that I want to talk about.
I’ve been on clozapine and respiredone for about 2 years now.It works for me so far.The radio is not talking to me anymore and all that good stuff.I had a major psychotic episode 2 years ago that prompted my doc to get me on clozapine and risperidone.Before that I’ve been off my meds completely for about 6 months or so.
I’m happy to say that my positive symptoms are gone…but my main problem these days are intrusive thoughts and anhedonia.The thing is,my illness started with intrusive thoghts and that remains my main problem to this day.They are usually of religious nature and also about me doing terrible things to people in my care.Don’t get me wrong,I’d never act on these toughts but man are they exausting…
Also one of my problems is anhedonia.I don’t feel any accomplishment when I complete something.I don’t really feel anything except for this terrible amount of restlesness.I want to do a tousand things at once,but when I start something it entertains me for like 5 minutes and then I get bored of it.It really sucks,especially becouse of things that I loved to do before,they now seem overwhelming - take for example video games.Years ago I’d play a video game for hours at a time,all day,sometimes all night,but nowdays,when i start playing something,I get a thought in my head for how much I’d have to dedicate to the game (time and effort) and it just bums me out and I get demotivated and I turn it off.
It’s really annoying.I can’t really motivate myself becouse of this blasted inner restlesness and anhedonia,and the intrusive thougths (24/7) exaust all my energy.It ain’t fun…
I’d like to know if you guys have any experience with intrusive thoughts,what your experiences are,and also with anhedoina - more specifically,inner restlessness,and how do you deal with that.
Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aren’t intrusive thoughts sign of OCD?

1 Like

They are,and I’ve read up on them for some time now.I’m diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenia,but like I’ve said,the intrusive thoughts are my main issue.I keep going back and forth wandering do I really have sz,since I never heard voices nor have I halluncinated in any way.My doc seems to think it’s sz…

1 Like

Well, more meds can help with intrusive thoughts (the right meds, that is). And I have been taking supplements on and off for years. I find that they helped reduce my anhedonia where it doesn’t bother me anymore. I feel enough pleasure these days. The only problem I have right now is avolition (or lack of motivation). It sucks. I’m constantly lazy or tired and fatigued.

Supplements can help with intrusive thoughts too. Stimulants like caffeine and cigarettes can worsen intrusive thoughts. Therapy like CBT can help with intrusive thoughts. Also stay away from alcohol and such.

1 Like

How on earth cigarettes worsen intrusive thoughts?

So you are not sure if you really have schizophrenia?

They’re stimulants and they lessen the effects of medications.

1 Like

Like I’ve said,I’m not sure.During my first real psychotic episode where I’ve had massive paranoid delusions (about everyone,including my own mother),I’ve had the radio “talking to me”,not just the radio,the TV too.
I was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic and put on clozapine and resp.and it works for me.I’ve searched for information on people with sz having intrusive thoughts but,there’s very little on it…

1 Like

TV was talking to me directly or with hints. The last weeks it has stopped

1 Like

I’m glad you’re doing better !

1 Like

sarcosine helped with my restlessness intrusive thoughts and adehania but can cause cancer so up to u

I stopped sodium benzoate because of this. I might have to stop sarcosine.

1 Like

So you’ve had intrusive thoughts too ? It’s not just me ?

I have really severe OCD and I can say the one thing that helps with intrusive thoughts are acknowledge what they are and move on. Just don’t worry about it. But also an ssri antidepressant will help too.

1 Like

I understand your apathy and anhedonia. Because of my anhedonia and apathy, I can’t do many things. I have no interest to do alot of stuff.

Watching TV is a chore. If it’s not easily consumable, then I just tune out after 5 minutes much like yourself.

I rather now a days just lay on my bed and scroll through social media or twitter until I get bored. Having a work at home job kind of helps because it keeps me busy for a little while but I still have alot of downtime.

@Lingvist you could give L-theanine a go.

Can you please explain how it can cause cancer? I haven’t heard this…

it causes prostate cancer apparently

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.