Motherhood <3

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum this is my first post so hope I’m in the right place. I was diagnosed with Sz six years ago, then two years ago diagnosis changed to SzA.

I’m trying to connect with people that have similar experiences to me as I’m finding myself increasingly isolated lately. Specifically, I would really love to share experiences of motherhood. I have three children and they are my world. I have some mummy friends in “real life” but they couldn’t even begin to understand what it’s like to be a parent with Sz or SzA. I could really do with connecting to other mums, or dads, with this illness just to chat and give mutual support and, like I said, share experiences.

You can send me a private message if you like. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re much braver than I, to raise children. While I can’t relate, I’m not sure that I could do it myself. And: welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome!
Just to bring some comedy into a serious post, here comes a link. It is not meant to offend and is not meant to be taken seriously. Hope I haven’t stepped on any toes.

Having a baby vs having a cat :smiley:

Hello and welcome! You sound awesome, raising three kids and dealing with sz. I don’t have any kids myself, but I would like to one day soon. I might have lots of questions for you when the time comes.

Hi there, I’m a mum of two and had my first psychotic episode this year. Waving and saying a big hello, welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling isolated. This is a great forum, lots of wonderful people here from many different backgrounds and ages. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I sincerely admire you :scream_cat: :crown:
I have one kid and i’m not diagnosed with sz/a yet I find parenting so hard at times!
It comes with a great award, because he is my purpose and my love, but damn sometimes i find myself unable to get out of bed, yet to care about him.
Did I say I admire you? Geeez!
Do you have anyone to help you with kids?

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: it’s tough but I do my very best! I would be more than happy to offer advice and support when you decide to have children, keep in touch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: yes I’m the same, I’ve been really good at getting up with them in the morning recently but for a long time I just couldn’t. I have a very supportive husband thankfully and my parents are helpful when I’m in an episode. Are you awaiting diagnosis?

1 Like

Here another admirer & mother… I am a single mother of one 5 year old son. I only got sick after having him (not sz/sza but ptsd + psychotic disorder nos). At the moment I take care of my son parttime. He lives with my parents part of the week.

2 Likes

I struggle to get up in the morning. Some mornings my 2 year old plays and watches television while I try to wake up. I feel so guilty about it. I saw my doc today, they’re going to change the drugs so I don’t need to sleep as much. It makes me feel awful. :frowning:

1 Like

I understand… have the same problem with meds and feel guilty as well. But it is how it is…

1 Like

Don’t feel bad sweet, I’ve done that too whilst on quetiapine and olanzapine. Totally knocked out. I switched my antipsychotics to abilify and now I can get up with them. Just remember you’re doing your best and taking a positive step by changing meds :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @leetulturtle, I have my fingers crossed it gets better. Changing meds makes me a bit nervous but if it means I can get up with the kids (or for them overnight) I’m there.

welcome, yep, I’ve got two grown kids,

but my son is a dependent adult,
and he’s on the MR waiver
so my parents, daughter and cousins
care for him when I’m working,
or want to go out with my friends.
They are able to get paid for it.

My illness has been gradual, pd. sz.
and I didn’t want to think I had anything wrong,
still don’t, a lot of times.

Hello I’m a mummy to with Sz would be lovely to talk to another mum :slight_smile:

1 Like

My current diagnosis is f.29 which is something similar to psychosis nos. I also suffer from depression and I believe I’m 100% borderline personality but my doc doesn’t want to add me that diagnosis yet, I don’t know why, but I don’t tell her everything though.
That’s great that you have such a big support. My mother and sister help me around too, sometimes even my son’s grandmother or my ex boyfriend. Every help is welcomed :slight_smile:
I try to not beat myself too much if I’m not feeling good. My son is 5 and he is old enough now to understand that there are days when mom doesn’t feel good. I make it up when I do feel OK, we go places and have fun.

2 Likes

I feel worse though because of his genetics, and I often dwell on future and will he go through psychosis or schizophrenia. That is my biggest fear. So I try to not put much stress on him ( for like school stuff), I don’t yell at him and try to work on his confidence. I also give him omega acids/fish oil daily.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re doing a really good job :slight_smile: part of that is accepting help when you need it. I’m the same, if I’m having a good day I make the most of it with the kids. My eldest is only three and she’s starting to understand that I get poorly sometimes. Tbh I worry a lot about genetics as well. But only with my eldest, it’s really weird, since she was a baby I’ve just felt in my heart she’s vulnerable. I’ve never had that feeling with the younger two. But yeah it is a worry, we just have to take steps to try and prevent it. Or catch it early, which we can do because we’ll recognise the early warning signs

Are we allowed to post like a link to our facebook profiles or something?? I’m really enjoying this forum but really want to make some proper friends I can keep in touch with and I don’t think you can add friends on here?