More ultrasounds than normal?

They wanted me to do an ultrasound at about 6-7 weeks. That one was to date the fetus and we found that gestational age was about a week behind what we thought. They said they wanted to do anpther in 7-11 days even though they said that everything looked normal. I was talking to my aunt about it and she was asking why they were watching so closely and why they wanted to do another. Is it possible theres something possibly wrong and the nurses/my doctor just didn’t tell me? I guess most people go in at 10-14 weeks and again at 18-20

They said ‘everything looked normal’.

Probably just being thorough. Don’t fret. This is a good thing. Sounds like you have a good team looking after you.

Gotta watch the umbilical cord doesn’t wrap around the baby’s neck…checking measurements…etc. I think it’s all good. Hon and I would freak out in the early stages of her pregnancy at the slightest deviation or comments from the technicians.

You’re on your way! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much…

1 time baby human measured behind and another time she measured ahead.

Also at the beginning of my pregnancy they wanted to do an ultrasound all the time. I had like 10 or more ultrasounds the whole pregnancy.

Best of luck to you, keep us updated!!

3 Likes

Is this your first child?

2 Likes

If your pregnancy is considered high risk, then you will have more than the average ultrasounds even if baby is okay. If there was something wrong, they would be obligated to tell you. Congratulations, btw. How exciting!

3 Likes

This is my first one.

@Human It makes me feel a little better that I’m not the only one with more than ‘normal.’ I think I was just getting stuck in my own head.

@anon55031185 As far as I know its not considered high risk other than the fact that it’s my first time being pregnant.

1 Like

If you are on any medications for mental illness, you are considered high risk. I don’t know your med list, I apologize ahead of time.

1 Like

I’m not currently on any meds. Other than melatonin as needed.

1 Like

That’s good. At the very least you get to see babe frequently. Lots of pics!

1 Like

I get it, it’s kind of hard not to get in your head when you’re expecting (at least for me)

I did have a “high risk” pregnancy cause I chose to stay on abilify and some other family risk factors, etc…

But also I think it was protocol of the place I was going to to have lots of ultrasounds…? Idk lol it’s all a blur already🥲

1 Like

I might be mistaken, but are you fairly petite? Smaller women tend to be monitored more closely, because you might need nutritional supplements to make up for the ones the baby is using. It isn’t a bad or dangerous thing, just one of those things where your standard for care will be different than someone who is larger.

2 Likes

@Human Yeah, I’m working on getting myself out of my head when it happens. It’s a little harder just cause I’m constantly tired whichesses with my emotions but I’m getting there and working on evening myself out so its less ups and downs.

@Ninjastar I guess youd have to define petite. Over the last year or two I did end up gaining a little although with the jobs I’ve had not sure how much weight goes towards muscle. I’m 5 foot and 1/2 an inch with a weight of 130+ or - 5 pounds. According to bmi I know I’m technically overweight.

1 Like

I was very thin when I got pregnant with my daughter. They kept checking her size and telling me I needed to eat more. I was eating to the point of feeling like I had a full thanksgiving feast. It was awful. But she was really small so I had to do it. She did finally get to a normal size though. She was born at 7pounds 6 oz (3.34 kg) and 21 inches long (53.34 cm).

1 Like

Is it possible they would have checked my family history. I guess i just assumed that theyd ask me about it but they havent. I know that me and all my siblings were premature so maybe they had my moms medical records and are going off that. Or its just their standard procedure.

1 Like

I think the best thing to do is ask them at the next ultrasound. They’ll tell you.

3 Likes

I agree with @anon55031185 . just ask. They’ll let you know.

2 Likes

With my 3rd child I had more than normal. I only gained 10 pounds. All of it baby and fluid. My doctor was worried, but I was doing a hard job and on my feet all day, walking.

2 Likes

Yeah it is probably in your record if you were a preemie.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.