Morally clean, or mentally smart. Which one do you prefer?

Which one do you expect in you and in others?

1. Morally clean
  2. Mentally smart

0 voters

I guess the Eastern part of the world prefer mentally smart people while Western part of the world (including those scholars from the East) prefer morally clean people. Maybe there are already many intelligent people in the West?

1 Like

I would choose both.

2 Likes

I agree, I do not believe that they are mutually exclusive. Though I suppose I would prefer to associate with a person who is kind and caring with strong morals, rather than a person who is solely intelligent.

1 Like

Yeah, both is great, but I don’t think being smart or hanging out with smart people is really that important, in the end. The good ones are the best ones.

1 Like

In a world full of corruption and wickedness, I think I can see why goodness and kindness are important.

1 Like

Neither, I expect people to be neither smart or moral. Life has taught me that hard lesson.

I’ve just about had my fill of mentally intelligent people with no morals.

2 Likes

What, then, is your preferred trait?

Morally clean, as implied kindness is great whether from a smart or stupid person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What do you think about them?

I think they are difficult to interact with.

I think a morally clean person seems to be friendly. But to stick with a clean moral you need to have some wisdom, so a morally clean person is mentally smart in some degree.

1 Like

Intelligent but morally lacking people are not so bad if you understand them well… Some people come across as horrible people, when really they just never learned empathy, and no one wants to spend time with them enough for them to learn now.

So, as Hybrid said, they are not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

This is a good question.

I would prefer my family to be morally clean. Intelligence is easier to acquire than morals I think.

4 Likes

This reminds me of employers “hire for attitude, train for skill”. Thanks.

3 Likes

I would prefer someone led by morals that don’t necessarily have to be religious. Just be nice.

I’m little wary of the term “morally clean”, just because I have a known a lot of people who define morals in ways that are more about control and less about making the world a kinder, better place.

But I value a kind heart over a brilliant mind.

3 Likes

I much prefer being around caring and truly kind individuals.
Being around those that solely value intelligence is a waste of time.
If you are a “good” individual that happens to be intelligent then more power to you.

3 Likes

I’m going with the selfish answer of “mentally smart.” Having been of high intelligence for years, I can’t imagine my life with a duller brain. I’d hate myself too much to bear it. I’m already afraid of the long-term intelligence decreases associated with being on antipsychotics. :frowning: