Moon Shadow Recovery Club

@kindness & @Hedgehog I was thinking about you two when I listened to this song today. It might not be your taste in music but I would like it if you would give him a chance. He recorded this in his basement when he was 17 now he’s a grammy award winning artist. The lead singer in a band called TwentyOnePilots. I hope you like it

2 Likes

I thought the telecommuting part time jobs existed for tech support but for the most part they don’t. I have no car to drive to a job and I live in a crappy depressed area where I won’t find work doing that. I doubt I could even work as a stock person at a store with my back problems.

I’m destined to have to settle for 1/4 of the things that make life meaningful for most people. There’ll be no jobs or girlfriends for me. Maybe I can live independently but that’s about it.

All any of that was for me is a pipe dream.

wait a minute now, do you think you’ll be living there forever? School will take awhile and maybe by the time your done you’ll live closer to the bus or you’ll have access to a car. I still think going through with school is a great idea. You can make a plan to work through the barriers of finding work later.

1 Like

I think Pixel is right about the IT jobs. Also the job really isn’t what I thought it was. I thought I’d gain the requisite knowledge and get on a phone line and help people figure out their tech issues. There’s a lot of interpersonal stuff involved beyond that and working as part of a team. I have pretty bad social skills irl

Most of the Software Developer jobs want a bachelors degree which is 4 years for most people, It would probably take me 6-8 years.

I can barely find any part -time remote jobs for that, too.

Pell grants have a maximum limit of 6 years of grant money AFAIK.

As far as moving somewhere else, I wouldn’t get even that little bit of help i get from family. I have frequent kidney stones and I’d hate to put myself in a situation where every time I have one I have to call an ambulance.

This whole county is poor and rather pathetic. Even if I moved to the next town over I still have to use the same unreliable public transportation.

The reason I’ve been focusing on doing school online is that the crappy public transport here failed to get me to orientation (my first day) of college 2 times in a row. I was told that "We can’t guarantee you a ride."
This was almost ten years ago.

In order to live somewhere with good public transportation I’d have to move 50-100 miles, I think. But I’d have no one to help me move my stuff.

I’m not trying to be hostile towards anyone else, I just feel trapped in this situation.
I don’t know how schizo’s are supposed to do better in a rural environment. There’s little opportunity or help in my opinion.

I see what you mean. I’m sorry! You are in a terrible situation. Small towns make it hard to get by, let alone get out of.

1 Like

Thank you for your sympathy tera, It helps a little.

2 Likes

I went back to my old college earlier to sign a form for my exam remark.

I thought it would feel strange being back there but it didn’t. It didn’t feel like I have even left! How do you get closure after leaving somewhere?

I am sad now I have realised how blind I was to everything whilst I used to be a student there. If I would have reached out for help with my mental health as soon as I started, perhaps I would have enjoyed it a lot more.
With that said, I am glad that I don’t have to go there any more.

5 Likes

If you want to know how it is to be a software developer, what the job looks like, you just have to ask me, because I’m a software developer…

You don’t need so much social skills. You will be mostly working all your days on your computer. Yes you would probably work in a team but you would just have to communicate regularly with your teammates about the job. It doesn’t ask so much social skills.

I don’t have so much social skills as well and everything is going well for me.

1 Like

@SplitMind @Magicfish @Jonnybegood @LED @Wave @zeno @Jimbob @anon80629714 @metime

10686789_708892632538024_1424220639925270120_n

8 Likes

@sigarino

3 Likes

@anon1571434 @JH85 @Erez_Shmerling @Blossom @5713 @Ninjastar @spiderpig @Moonbeam @IndustrialLad @WhiteRaven

7 Likes

@jukebox @Lost @Berru @Tomasina @far_cry0 @Anubis @Jesspresso @finally

1 Like

hi my name is …and I’m schizophrenia inflicked I’m 55 years old and my kid have kids. I live alone in a big house with too much to do by myself. my girl friend of 25 years come to see me once a week. living a life of a poor person, I have seen both good and bad in not just people but nature. I recovered in parts of my mind, and remand broke in other parts , I was out of the game at 25, after all kinds of schooling. with a Dr’s in auto mobiles … I had a art in college tell I ran out of money back in the 70’s. I went on to travel to Alaska and to the tip of Mexico. after that I razed 2 step kids and a baby of my own. rebuilt two homes and farmed. I toke on many social obligations, and become a lab rat for the pharm company’s. now…try to still recover …thank you for your time.

3 Likes

Hi! My name is Tera. It’s nice to meet you. Thank you for the back story, it’s nice to have a story to go with the name. My story is I’m 50, blissfully married with two lovely children who are my joy. I struggle with schizoaffective disorder. Right now I’m maxed on a lot of medicine but hoping after I get through the winter I can start reducing my aps so that I can get some relief from the negative symptoms I’m getting from the meds. I’m pleased I stumbled upon this site as it’s a nice way to spend my days rather than in bed or in front of the tv. I have very little energy for anything else. And I love talking to people who come here and have similar problems as I.

Once again it was nice to meet you and I hope you have a lovely day.

2 Likes

I’m pretty much sold on the idea of pursuing unskilled work soon, but what degree do you have?

1 Like

You mean what degree in computer science?

I have two technical college diplomas in computer science. These diplomas are called DEC here in the province of Québec and they are highly valuable and much demanded by the companies. Here you don’t have to go to university at all to have a great career as a software developer.

However, I have studied in university in computer science afterwards. I was supposed to get a Bachelor degree but I had to stop my study because I became mentally sick. So I have completed about 2/3 of the university study program.

1 Like

That’s cool that you were able to accomplish that. I think working as a cashier or something might be more within the limits of what I can do living in a poor rural area.
My back problems would make it difficult and painful to work as a stockperson and my lack of speed would make it impossible to work in fast food.

3 Likes

@SplitMind @Magicfish @Jonnybegood @LED @Wave @zeno @Jimbob @sigarino @anon80629714 @metime

6 Likes

@anon1571434 @JH85 @Erez_Shmerling @Blossom @5713 @Ninjastar @spiderpig @Moonbeam @IndustrialLad @WhiteRaven

3 Likes

@jukebox @Lost @Berru @Tomasina @far_cry0 @Anubis @Jesspresso @finally

6 Likes