Mom thinking of downsizing

My mom wants to sell the house and move into a condo in town. I’ve lived here my whole life. Until I didn’t live here anymore currently.

But you know what I mean. My dad doesn’t care either he just doesn’t wanna be involved. My mom said “he’ll do whatever I wanna do”. And The bidding for this condo is tomorrow. I told my mom to go bid on it. Why not?? She says if someone buys this condo she will feel disappointed I said then go bid it. And I would help her move. Even though it’s only a 15-20 minute walk away. Still would have to pack up and move.

4 Likes

Might be a good thing to save money?

1 Like

Would moving into the condo save your parents money?

2 Likes

It’s a bit of money saved in price right off the bat. My parents are financial geniuses at least my dad. My mom leads by his example too. I’m a financial idiot. So I have no right to say what’s financially right or not. But it’s true

My mom moreso hates walking up tons of stairs and stuff and maintaining a property. It would save money in maintenance costs for sure.

Now that my parents are both in their 70s they don’t wanna live in a big home in the woods anymore

3 Likes

I think that’s great.

2 Likes

Moving into a condo was so great for my parents. They still miss the acreage but upkeep was so difficult.

2 Likes

Do condos usually appreciate in value like homes? What about neighbors and such? Are they attached?

We downsized some with this last move. I like having less space to clean, but having less space is making Mrs. Squirrel crazy. She keeps touring me around to look at even larger houses now. I admit I’d like a larger kitchen and a dining room to entertain in, but I don’t want to clean that much!

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s attached. It may be. But my mom said the market is way down. It’s like 70% of what the price used to be. I’m not sure much more

1 Like

I think downsizing sounds like a good idea, especially at that age.

2 Likes

Change is difficult, even when it’s right and good change. I like how supportive you are of your parents, @Jonnybegood.
We rent a house that is larger than we need and has a yard that is a lot of work. I love it, but I’m getting tired of working so hard to maintain it.
We hope to move to a smaller place in the next year or so. I understand what a relief it would be for your mom to have an easier place to live. I hope her bid is accepted!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.