Metaphors in conversation wear me out

I you referring to people’s metaphorical double speech?

I hear that all of the time. I live where that is the normal language, and it is very annoying and it gets far beyond the limits of what’s not stupid anymore. LOL When I try to talk to them in literal language and not mentaphory double speak, a lot of times they will not know what I’m saying or even just ignore me outright…mostly the latter. But if I use that metaphory garble, it’s like a bird that suddenly thinks there’s another bird singing his or her song, so they get a little excited and into it.

Truthfully I did not learn that language, and I’m glad I didn’t because like you said it is full of distraction and deception. It’s nonsensical, and if it’s all you’ve ever known in your life, it can be a dead weight on how you succeed in life believing it and that it is the only reality there is…or that matters. I’ve seen it like a casted mold on people’s heads that don’t allow them to go higher or even see higher. It’s like a boot on a car wheel or a leash tied them to a post.

When I began to hang around with people like this, I thought that they were telepathic. I should have considered that they were just good at it for all of their lives as that is what they grew up around kind of like college and semi pro ball players that had been playing ball every year of their lives while I was only just beginning. They therefore could anticipate and predict emotional and thinking dialectics in other people as a result of hearing the sequence of their carefully chosen words.

In other words they were just good predictors not mind readers, but I was totally fooled, and it was something that I aspired to become. I believed that I had to become a mind reader telepath because that was what the world was after all. I totally blew it, eh?

1 Like

Holy cow, this is something I experience all the time, like people might be speaking in code or something. Using substitute words that were preagreed upon to assign to different people or attributes.

2 Likes

I should also add that when someone wants to be telepathic for any reasons like esoteric fantasies or religious etc, they must wing it with their regular 5 senses and other mental sensations because there is no telepathic organ. Once the mind is pretending that the 5 senses and the other mental sensations are actually receptions from other telepaths, beings, the universe, or technologies, then…

…all that the brain does from that point on is try to read minds rather than try to predict minds.

There’s a huge difference between logically trying to deduce what another mind will do next or what it can do vs. what it is actually think because you’re a magic telepathy being joke.

Make no mistake about it. This one factor is enormous when it comes to distinguishing positive symptoms of scz from normal psychology in other people.

And if you wanted to know what normal minds think like in general, this prediction not “mind reading” or “mind control” is what you are looking for.

1 Like

Thanks for this unaventures- I saw your profile & then glanced my own and it seems I joined just the day before you and also feel it’s been a positive experience to be here.
Where are you from?
I am from the UK and half on benefits/half self-employed as a freelance journalist. I write first person articles about living with sz and managed to get my first piece in The New York Times last year :slight_smile:
I am studying fine art at Uni as well - just until June this year - and graduate in July.
In all, this year is looking a damn sight better than last year when I went on 20mg of abifily from 800mg of ampisulpride. I am back on 600mg of ampisulpride since December and doing much better
Best wishes to you from Britain.

3 Likes

Usually I can’t understand metaphors or sarcasm whatsoever because I’m autistic. But I do understand what you mean. I also experience delusions of reference.

2 Likes

Wow! Published by NYT - thats a huge wrap. Congratulations:trophy:. Maybe you can post some small pieces here at some stage in the future? Good luck with Graduating - good to see people functioning well.

I am from Oz.

Yeah I think we may be connected by some silver cord of destiny or such like - you were the cause of me joining this forum. I cant think of what google search I did but your post came up and it struck a huge cord. I am glad I joined - its good to chat to fellow travelers.

Best wishes from sunny Down Under :dizzy:.

1 Like

Interesting. So are you autistic and sz? How do you experience delusions of reference? any examples spring to mind?

I love that analogy ! :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t have the sz diagnoses. I have psychosis NOS. and my delusions of reference can be thinking what happens or is said on tv shows is about me or telling me something.

When I’m out in public I also think everyone is talking, laughing, and looking at me. Sometimes I also believe that random posts on here are about me.

3 Likes

Yup! Spot on & with you on that all the way.

I used to work in London and had to attend media events. I’d get 2 minutes max of conversation with a person, and then they’d walk off. I guessed it may be because I do not do double speak. I can’t.

If it’s helpful to others I did got positive feedback from one ex-boyfriend about ‘sophisticated use of metaphors.’ He was tucked away in his home office typing and I said: “You’re like a hamster going around his wheel.”

I have no idea what was sophisticated about this or why it was better then usual small talk to this day…

2 Likes

It feels like the world is a magical place hearing something like this.

I actually use ‘johnapples’ from time to time as a pen-name and have done for over a decade since I was diagnosed with psychosis in 2002. Not sure why.
Anyway, I looked up John Apples on Youtube when I signed up here and there is actually a John Apple musician who wrote a song about delusions. Strange coincidence :wink:

Hope you’re keeping well.

Had a bad day at Uni yesterday when my tutor failed a sketchbook of artwork and said she could tell I was schizophrenic just looking at it!

Just made a complaint.

Fight on my friends, fight on…:muscle:

1 Like

Well you certainly are my Johnny Appleseed Angel for leading me here and planting this wonderful seed of community. :slight_smile:
From Wiki …
"He became an American legend while still alive, due to his kind, generous ways, his leadership in conservation, and the symbolic importance he attributed to apples. " …haha symbols again ! …

“The popular image is of Johnny Appleseed spreading apple seeds randomly everywhere he went.”…Google used you to help me find a supportive tribe -I was diagnosed in 2009…its strange I never took notice of this site till your "metaphors " post "just popped up " on my screen…I really do believe in silver cords of destiny - sometimes its freaks me out no end. Its like we are busy living our lives without realizing something far greater than us is living , breathing , moving and loving through us…

Anyway back to Johnny …" The Native Americans regarded him as someone who had been touched by
the Great Spirit, and even hostile tribes left him strictly alone.[13]"

See you are protected by the Great Spirit…your art teacher hasnt a chance…btw be great to see your painting if you can post a pic …

May the Great Spirit flow through you and touch all you meet …:innocent:

1 Like

Hi @unaventures how’s it going? Hope you’re well on that other side of the globe :slight_smile:
Things got better at Uni, & here is one of my works from yesterday. It’s called ‘Girl with schizophrenia in the bath’.

I started developing my ‘brain surgery’ series, where I cut into magazines and perform surgery on model’s brains. I wanted to depict psychosis!

Then yesterday, as the top pic, I had a go at painting a brain surgery operation!

Hope you like them, & feedback on the forum is welcome (I may start another thread about it).

2 Likes

She’s apples ! - aussie expression for ‘all good’ and in your case she really is apples :slight_smile:

Totally awesome pic of ‘girl in the bath’. Wow you have some talent! If i ever write my book about Schizophrenia I am coming to you for permission to use as the cover design! I seriously love looking at it.

Yeah please post the other ‘brain surgery’ pics/montages or whatever - they sound amazing.

1 Like

Grand!
You may like Trigger Press in the UK for your book and, yes, please let me illustrate it :blush:

1 Like

WOW!
That’s mesmerizing. Echoes of subversive agitprop art.
You will be holding exhibitions in avant garde galleries in no time. :star_struck:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.