Mental health professionals can differ on what they think is psychosis

Current pdoc:

“Some breakthrough psychotic symptoms in relation to a paranoid fear around people breaking into his flat”.

Mentioning same symptoms to nurse practitioner where I lived before.

“It’s anxiety”

3 Likes

Nurses are like therapists. Not trained in psychiatry. So it’s like asking a lay person for an opinion if you ask a nurse for a psychiatric opinion.

1 Like

@everhopeful a nurse practitioner has a doctorate. They are able to treat patients without oversight just like doctors.

@firemonkey I’ve found that every doctor I see wants to give me a different label. As long as they don’t mess with my meds, I’ve stopped caring what they call me.

7 Likes

@Ninjastar, although nurse practitioners have doctorates, they cannot treat patients without oversight “just like doctors”. Nurse practitioners have to be overseen and supervised by M.D’s.

2 Likes

Hell, none of my psychiatrists can even agree about what the best suits are to wear.

First psychiatrist tried to diagnose me bipolar which was a mistake.

I think some,not all, let personal biases get in the way when giving a label to someone. That was very much the case when I lived in Essex. If I had a PD it should have been the avoidant one. However the psych team, because there was a personality clash between us,went for pd nos and then paranoid pd.

The medication has stayed quite constant ie Consta 2009-2018. Switch to Paliperidone monthly Oct 2018. Going to be switched to the 3 monthly version after next monthly dose.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.