Memory problems

I did study psychology, neuroscience, physiology, biology and pathophysiology. Positive, negative and cognitive symptoms are different and have different brain mechanisms but improvement in one slightly improves the other.

I wonder if we need 3 pills to treat SZ, one for each set of symptoms.

1 Like

Hereā€™s hoping that doesnā€™t happen!

1 Like

Thankyou!!!

1 Like

n-back training surely improves your fluency. Need consistent practice every day but worth it.

My cognitive weaknesses - non-verbal/spatial ,non-verbal memory, visual short memory, executive functioning(organising and planning).

Never been given any help for it . Only brief, cognitive assessment was during first few days of first admission in May 1975- digit span and count down from 100 in groups of 7 .

Thyroid hormones are critical for memory especially working memory. I find taking levothyroxine for hypothyroidism very useful for memory, energy level etc. I take dose which put TSH less than 1.0. It gives marked results too when compared with higher TSH values.

Here is an article about how crucial thyroid hormone is for memory.

Conclusions

It can be concluded that even a short-term intake of thyroid hormones leads to an activation of brain areas associated with working memory and to an improvement of accuracy of working memory tasks.

Even mild thyroid excess gives better activation of working memory areas in brain.

I think thereā€™s very probably a sweet spot between already being too good to see much further improvement , and so bad the capacity for improvement is minimal at best .

It can surely improve. n back training is proven to improve fluid intelligence.

The problem is its a very tough game and most not continue due to high cognitive load.

My husband constantly complains about my poor memory. My memory for learning facts is still good but everyday memory is bad - especially my memory for conversations. I canā€™t remember what my husband and I spoke of the previous day. Heā€™s always got to remind me of what I said.

You will need regular blood tests to play with your hormones. I wouldnā€™t do it.

Not need regular blood tests. I am in 100 mcg levothyroxine dose for over 1.5 years and TSH value at around .5 to .6. I tested every 4 months and TSH value remains almost constant. The thing is that we need to find the correct dose which brings TSH value less than 1.0.

Before remaining in this dose I was in various low value doses like 75 mcg, 50 mcg etc and TSH values 2.75, 5. etc. During these times I still had various hypothyroid symptoms like heavy hair fall, low energy, reaction time is high, more memory issues (especially recall issues), high LDL cholesterol etc.

I forget the topic of discussion in the middle of a conversation

Dont worrie I get memory problems to I cant even remeber what happend yesterday seems to be a symptom of sz especially in the later stages my voices say they took all my memories cant even remeber my momā€™s face and she lives with me but I take it day by day maybe you should try supplements for memory support that seems to help me a bit

1 Like

For me itā€™s thinking ā€˜letā€™s check x on Googleā€™ only for the thought to disappear. Sometimes it comes back to me and sometimes not . Additional to that can sometimes be struggling for an appropriate word to use , or a slowness in thinking of an important personā€™s name . I hasten to add itā€™s not a constant thing .

1 Like

I also forget what I was about to google

1 Like

Itā€™s the half memories that drive me up the wall. The rest of the memory is just on the tip of my tongue.

Hyperthyrodism is a disesase and 0.5 TSH is bad because normal range is 0.5 to 4.1. Lower TSH means hyperthyrodism because the brain is understimulating the thyroid when the thyroid is overactive, too much thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) hormones. Youā€™re taking levothyroxine without dr supervision? 2.75 TSH is perfectly normal, 5 is hypothyrodism.

Also happens to me :frowning:

Optimal TSH range is .3 to 3.0. .5 to 4.5 is old range which is not optimal. I am on levothyroxine at various doses for over 11 years now. At first I went to doctor and did the same, check thyroid level and dose levothyroxine to bring TSH to normal range. Lower TSH values gives best effects, high values not resolving hypothyroid issues.

I also have these issues but not constantly also.

1 Like