Schizophrenia.com

Memories: forgetting and remembering

I used to think that it was always better to remember things, even the bad experiences. However my mother had an illness that temporarily affected her memory. She forgot much of her past, unhappy experiences for a few years and then regained it. She told me that when she forgot everything, she was a happier person. That makes me wonder now: is it better to forget or to remember? Or perhaps something in-between?

MadHatter

I dont think a person ever REALLY forgets. It just stays locked away until you are ready to deal with it and then you remember. It hurts when it all comes up, but if you dont deal with it, it will leak through everything and take up too much energy.
You have to remember and then let go so you can make
room for the good things.

Better to remember. Pain is power. Jk

No, it is cloudy. To forget would make me a different person. To remember is ongoing suffering. I would choose to remember. I can’t help but admire myself for being such a marvelous ■■■■■■ up person. Like the poster child of those who are clinically ■■■■■■ up. I make it look good.

To forget everything would make me useless and forgetting knowledge would be losing power. I’ve fantasized about forgetting everything and decided that it would be the worst thing that could happen. If I were retarded, I would not want to remember. This is all in my will I wrote. I need to print that out. I have it on three flash drives.

My memory is so full of holes and false memories. I have to analyze a lot of my odd memoires and sadly even some odd good ones.

My memory is starting to try and repair… between things my family tells me… stuff I’ve written in journals and a few things I actually remember correctly…

I do remember some of the ugly and heart breaking things I did to my family, and I would love to forget. But having those memories has given me something to work for… not to be that person any more.

To remember or forget… Itsy kinda like “Red pill or blue pill”.

@bridgecomet: Good point. The memory might be lost, but the pain might still remain…unresolved

@mortimermouse : I get it that experiences and therefore memories are what makes us who we are. It is part of our identity. Losing it would be like losing a major part of ourselves. That was my original thought too. But if we lose our memory, does the wisdom/changes/basic knowledge coming from the loss go as well? If it doesn’t, would that change things?

@SurprisedJ That’s a very good reason to remember.

@Apokalypz True enough. Remembering…forgetting… not really a conscious choice. But it’s fun to mull about it, I think.

MadHatter

Memory is part of the illness. Stay on track please.

Freud believed we repress memories that are too painful or too threatening to bear. I had one childhood memory I didn’t recover until I was 17. I wouldn’t force myself to remember painful things. You’ll recover them when you’re ready.