Meds feel like quitting them really bad

Before i was diagnosed i was 145lbs and i could curl 80 lbs easily and do 500 pushups. Now im a couch potato with no drive. Hope im not burnt out like ozzy osbourne when im 50 years old.

2 Likes

wow! i couldn’t do that before my diagnosis.

If the meds are doing a really good job with the main symptoms maybe you can lower the dosage or see if there’s something to deal with the side effects. I know that’s easier said than done but I don’t imagine your life was so wonderful with the full blown illness either. These drugs are often not perfect and it’s tough to decide whether the side effects of the medicine are worse than the symptoms of the disorder you have. I took a low dose of my meds for years and remained physically active but eventually I got more tired of the symptoms rather than the side effects and took the full dose. I am pretty lazy now too but I can think better than I did and find the compromise that resulted to be worth it. I lost a lot but gained a little more. Why don’t you see what exercises you can do with your mind and see if the result is worth it to you? If your mind can’t think more clearly ask for a different med.

2 Likes

please don’t stop taking your meds…you could lose everything! Work with your psychiatrist and see if your meds can be adjusted, but don’t stop your meds !! please.

3 Likes

Jimmyjam, I know how you feel! I was 160 before ap’s and now I’m over 200. I have put myself on a diet and as of this morning I’ve lost 19 lbs. As far as weight lifting goes I don’t do that so I don’t know but that seems like a lot of weight. How much can you do now? Perhaps you could focus all your energy on lifting again, and give yourself little rewards for accomplishing that each day. Are you gaining or losing weight?

Edited for more info: I’m using a really fantastic tool called myfitnesspal.com. It calculates your calories, %of protein, carbs, sodium, fiber, fat, sugar and more. You add your weight and measurements, your calorie goal and you type in all the food you eat and it calculates everything for you. When you feel like you need a snack you just check to see how many calories you have left and you know if you can have a bowl of cereal or an apple (for example). It’s really cool and super helpful. It also tracks your exercise. Try it!

1 Like

Im 250 and got no drive

1 Like

try myfitnesspal.com

1 Like

I have a similar experience but went from 170 as a teenager to close to 300 pounds in my 30’s. I lost about 30 pounds to go from mid 290’s to 263. This was mostly the result of med changes.
As far as motivation, know why you are lifting the weight and visualize what it’s going to do for you.

For me though, I just got in there and did it. Even on Clozapine. Never got close to 500 pushups but I used to be able to curl 100 pounds on a barbell. Before I fell and then later my degenerative disc disease flared up I was curling about 60 with dumbells. But once I get my Weider Ultimate Bodyworks here I’ll mainly use that.

To be clear , while the weight loss I had was mainly the result of med changes, I would strongly advise against changing them without consulting your pdoc.
I did that and had a huge episode where the manic part of my sza that I hardly ever see was dominant and it was terrible.

1 Like

I was 135lbs and could run a 6:13 mile. Now I’m 180lbs and can run a 13 minute mile.

2 Likes

i used to run a lot, before my diagnosis