Meds and motivation

Do meds help your motivation? Mine don’t.

1 Like

Mine make me require caffeine but once both kick in I can do some impressive ■■■■, and I do that ■■■■ on the daily.

1 Like

If you’re taking a major or minor tranquilizer (i.e.: an anti-psychotic for psychosis of some kind – including schiz – or a bezodiazepine for simple anxiety) over any long period of time, motivation is likely to be decreased, though by different neuro-biological mechanisms.

Major tranqs are designed to reduce dopamine flow in the limbic system or mid-brain so that the upper part of the brain can “get through” to it and put the damper on impulsivity, obsessiveness, compulsive rumination, delusions, hallucinations, projections, etc.

Minor tranqs are designed to knock down adrenaline flow caused by agitation of the autonomic nervous system’s sympathetic branch (our “fight or flight” mechanism).

Most people who have strongly biogenetic schiz (as opposed to stress- or long-term-drug-use-induced psychosis) will need to take anti-psychotics for the rest of their lives (unless or until Big Pharma or Big Medical Devices come up with a better solution).

The drugs cause a lot of side effects (including reduced drive), but the newer ones (e.g.: Seroquel quetiapine, Abilify arapiprasole, Latuida lurasidone) are less “side-effecting” (for most people) than the middle-aged ones (e.g.: Risperdal risperidone, Zyprexa olanzepine, Geodon ziprasidone), and the middle-aged ones are better than the old ones (e.g.: Trilafon perfenazine, Stelazine trifluperazine, Clozaril clozapine). But there are times when the old ones are the only ones that “work.”

Most people with weakly biogenetic schiz stand a chance of de-titrating (reducing dosage), often to a considerable extent, without relapsing into florid psychosis. Psychotherapy is often helpful.

Most people who have non-biogentic psychosis will be able to de-titrate from the anti-P(s) over time. And the slow withdrawal can be speeded up for many with psychotherapy for PTSD, anxiety, depression or mania.

One of the major problems I see (way too often) is side effects owing to over-medication. The better psychopharmacologists (not GPs, not ER or public clinic docs) know how to assess for over-med and try to use the minimum dose to deal with the symptoms, rather than just kneejerk what the APA or the manufacturer instructs.

I’m not talking out the side of my neck. I’ve read about 170,000 pages of professional literature and observed hundreds of psychotic pts. so far.

1 Like

No motivation here. Anhedonia is my best pal. But if it is caused by meds or sz I don’t know.

3 Likes

I have never heard of those subcategories before. Can you link to more information about them, or recommend a book? I find it fascinating, and I want to know which category I fit into. Mostly because I wonder, as many do, about the possibility of one day being med free. Like, for example, when I want to get pregnant.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, no books or links exist (yet) to this hypothetical taxonomy. It’s still at the observe > notice > pattern recognition stage, so far as I know. You could lift each one of the bold-faced callouts and Google them to see what comes up, I guess. I’m sure plenty will (come up).

I know this much: As meta-researchers (like Nasrallah, but be careful; the guy has a “sponsored agenda” on behalf of Big Pharma) gather evidence of specific genetic factors – and as we can see bundles of them combined for specific symptoms (say, hypersensitivity to interoception, meaning internal sensations) – we know way more than we used to via genetic testing whether someone is “likely” to have more “factoring” towards one of the polarities I described above.

Hello my friend.
From my experience I have had several negative symptoms for many years such as: avolition, apathya, anhedodia, low motivation, lack of interest in life, etc. I have tried to know how outcome these problems.
The result is:
-Psychotherapy has been useful for accepting my reality and solving my problems of everyday.
-Antidepressant: since the past November I am taking Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) so my apathy has dissapeared totally and my avolition has diminished a little; my motivation has improved although not how I would like. Other partners from this forum take Wellbutrin (Bupropion) so they said that it has been a good experience.
Perhaps You should check out next link which You can find information about negative symptoms and medicines: Dystimia and Apathy

Take care.
Tolteca.

Haldol totally destroyed my motivation and totally demoralized me. Geodon is so much easier to tolerate. I resent the medications - all of them, but I know I can’t make it without them.