Medication

I hate medication and the side effects. I don’t want to take it. Last night I didn’t and now I have not had any sleep. My main issue is weight gain. I’m not heavy but I went from 125lbs to 155 (now 142 lb) in just a few weeks from taking Clozaril. My weight is a big deal to me. I hate that it’s so hard to lose it even when I eat nothing and exercise. I wish they would find something that didn’t cause any weight gain. Currently, I take Saphris and that’s no help either. I didn’t tolerate Abilify or Geodon well and everything else makes me fat.
When I closed my eyes for a second, I saw a woman doing a dance making some weird noise. I hope this isn’t a precursor of things to come. I don’t know… I don’t want to take antipsychotics.
Thanks for listening, hope everyone has a good day :sunrise:

1 Like

I have gone through the same with Olanzapine. Trouble I found is that I get really bad withdrawal symptoms and end up back on it again so I can go to work. It annoys me as I used to come off the tablets after a year or so before, and never had any issues. I have no idea why I get so sick now when I don’t take them. If I miss just two doses I feel really bad.

The meds are necessary for me - I just cannot function half way without them … but … they do have some serious side effects, weight gain is one of them.
You can lose weight while taking them, it is possible … I lost about 18lbs - it took me up to a year or so, but it is possible to lose while being on meds.

The whole trick is eating in moderation - going low carb helps - Moving around a bit helps also - I walk at least 30 minutes a day - even 10 or 15 minutes is a positive start.

I wish you luck with the meds - they become an important tool to maintain good mental health, please do not give up on the meds easily.
Finding the right balance is important - but weight loss is possible - eating low carb and walking has helped me out tremendously -

Best of luck to you!

2 Likes

please keep taking your meds and talk to your pdoc about changing you to something that will help you keep the weight off.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend eating nothing. Apart from being unhealthy, phases of eating nothing doesn’t seem to be particularly effective for losing weight either.

Edit: Perhaps you could ask your doctor about metformin? I don’t know too much about it but it might help

1 Like

Hi Daisy… Could you discuss being on a lower dose of Clozaril with your pdoc rather then discontinuing it all together? I know on a higher dose of 450 mg my son gained weight but he didn’t on lower doses. Stopping it cold turkey can cause worsening symptoms.

There is also this:

2 Likes

It is possible to maintain a normal weight by following these rules:

Excercise high intensity every day: For example 20 min. rowing machine or 20 min run. Alternatibely walk for an hour.
Do not eat burgers and pizzas.
Measure your calories and eat food that you know excactly how many calories which is in it.

It takes a lot and isnt fun, but it is possible.

1 Like