Maybe the modern lifestyle is making us unwell?

A theory of mine

People eat very poor diet nowadays, a lot of junk food and sugar, alcohol etc.

Also most lives nowaday (especially young people’s) consist of social media and funny cat videos and not so much going outside anymore

I wonder if it Might’ve affected the amount of people with mental illness

3 Likes

I think there is a bright future for those in the psych field. Lol.

In other words I agree with you wholeheartedly.

2 Likes

Your brain is a muscle and needs rest. Human beings are not meant to be wired 24/7/365.

So yes, I agree with you as well.

1 Like

Truth. People live inside you’re mind rent free almost like a rule instead of the exception.

At least that’s been my vantage point.

And it puts people in fight or flight mode perpetually and we’re not built for that!

1 Like

I managed to get mentally ill before there was an Internet. I’m glad for social media because it gives me an ability to socialize that I don’t have in person. I have trouble with anything over a small group of people and the whole having to make eye contact thing weirds me out.

AA meetings by Zoom are incredible, I’m never going to another real world meeting in a stanky church basement with even stankier coffee ever again. Intarwebs for the win!

2 Likes

I think the modern culture of instant gratification is pretty unhealthy.

3 Likes

Getting back to nature is important.

Something to be said about walking amongst the trees.

3 Likes

I agree. I think I’m addicted to the internet, as are most people w access to it today. We need to reconnect with nature, read more books, do more with our hands. I think it would do us good

2 Likes

My Echo Plus helped me roll out of bed at 5:30 am. My Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch logged my steps to an app on my phone, which uploaded them to MyFitnessPal. My WiFi scale uploaded my weight this morning and MFP told me I’d lost 1.4 lbs since the last weigh in. I’ve remembered to take my pills twice today because an app on my phone buzzes the watch on my wrist until I take my pills. I spent my walk listening to online stations I love and they put some pep in my step.

I’m enjoying the tech in my life.

1 Like

I don’t think it changes anything, schizophrenia is mostly a genetic disease, 80% (Wikipedia).

1 Like

I didn’t mean SZ only I meant all mental illnesses

It’s the isolation that causes the most problems. Humans are social animals and the modern world is very self centered and lack of social outlets really take their toll.

1 Like

Well all psychiatric diseases have a high genetic component 50-90%. The remaining % is mostly drug use.

1 Like

Yeah, when was young in the seventies I spent most of my time outdoors either alone riding on my bike or playing sports with my friends. Or hanging out with my friends and the girls on his street just talking.

Even when we got older and cars and drugs and drinking came into the picture, a bunch of us would meet at the park or the school field on weekends and play football or baseball. At my age now, (59) I couldn’t do for a minute 90% of the things I used to do for fun for hours as a teenager.

I think the last time I played sports was in my thirties when I joined a church softball team.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.