Massive Fat

Armadillo!

The humongous creature waddled out from the pine trail and towards me…I grabbed a branch and went after it and the fat thing went under the car but barely…it almost got stuck! LOL…
I poked it with the stick and it got under the car and somehow escaped, so I got the dog and she sniffed its trail and tracked the titanic thing until it emerged and went in front of the garden… It just shuffled around in the tall weeds and somehow got away…
I never saw such a huge armadillo!
Like the pic, maybe even fatter than that actually… a massive puffball that could hardly move ! the thing needs to stop digging and eating or it’ll get stuck in its own hole and be too overweight to dig itself out!

4 Likes

It’s amazing to see such a fat armadillo! I think this one is your new friend (-:

Do they do harm to crops?

They do major harm to crops by digging up the dirt…they mess up the lawn too… but this one is so fat it really doesn’t dig really bad holes like some of the others have. I have to figure out why this armadillo approaches people and seems undisturbed by a dog it’s size that charges at it and barks.
We think it is very old.

My gardens are fences but armadillos have sometimes made a mess in the grass or around where I have trees planted. When I first planted evergreens 5 years ago they dug up a few seedlings, killing one…

Das a big armadillo…

No armadillos here to speak of…plenty of housecat eating coyotes and fishers but no armadillos.

I see you have the skills that a farmer has in terms of gardening. How long have you been cultivating crops, plants and trees?

My GF was also approached by the beast one night while walking the dog and said it is actually bigger than the picture…so we have both met the same 'Dillo.

Fishers too will kill cats if the cat tries to tangle with them. Coyotes can be communicated with…I may have lost a couple cats that wander way in the woods but the Coyotes have left them alone around the house and in the yard near the house, and I know one came in several years ago to try and mate with my wolf-dog, and left the cats alone.
Occasionally if I get a dead animal or some meat scraps I’ll take them up the road and throw them in the woods in the evening or night and call to the Coyotes…One night I threw a large dead Possum up on the side of the road and the next morning there were Coyote tracks around the area and no Possum…
I’d like to get a pup, like if i found an abandoned litter. I had a dog that was part wolf or Coyote, her yip and yelp was definitely Coyote talk which is unique compared to other canids…Funny to see a big strong dog yelp in that high pitched cry…

1 Like

Over 40 years…not every single year…lets see…23 or 24 of those years…basically any time I was not living in a city or homeless. Also worked with some livestock, mainly chickens, but have worked with cows before.

Maybe a dumb comment, but maybe there are little armadillos inside.

It may be a tame armadillo adopted by some family and lost them?

God, that is a fabulous animal! Where do you live to see that?

Not dumb really, quite possible! Though winter is coming and I don’t know when they have litters…I have found some armadillos will show no fear of people if they have gotten used to a human presense and not been bothered, so I need to bother it…have considered live trapping it or even just grabbing it by the tail and tossing it in a tote to relocate it in the wild…
I found where it had dug inbetween my trees last night, no damage but I had to cover a few small holes in the disturbed ground.

Ah ha…it is not pregnant or does not have developing babies in it…

“Mating takes place during a two- to three-month-long mating season, which occurs from July–August in the Northern Hemisphere and November–January in the Southern Hemisphere. A single egg is fertilized, but implantation is delayed for three to four months to ensure the young will not be born during an unfavorable time. Once the zygote does implant in the uterus, a gestation period of four months occurs,”

Even if she was fertilized in July the egg has not yet begun to grow. According to this if she got fertilized in July her egg wouldnt begin to develop till November…strange creatures they are…

the creature is just overweight!

We have skunks and they get ran over and then the car stinks for a long time.

That’s interesting. Are there any animals they are closely related to?

They are the same order as Sloths and Anteaters but that’s about it…and while sloths and anteaters have fur, armadillos have shells, or actually a rubbery like armor…kind of like a tire…so they are unique…

Same here, but mostly possums and armadillos get run over… skunks in the road are rarer…