Martial arts training

Yeah the greek/spanish/italian culture is miles different from the northern parts. And the east like russia and all that are a whole different world these days haha. Especially with the war at the moment.
My family left around the time of the Bolshevik revolution in russia. They were white russians so were against the communist ideas. Anyway sorry if im annoying you haha. I am just a bit of a history buff. Especially european stuff in particular. I have a few books on the topic.

1 Like

I say they were white ā€˜russiansā€™ because im pretty sure latvia at the time was occupied by russia for while.

1 Like

Dont kickbox in Holland. You will get brain damage lolā€¦

2 Likes

Cause they are generally very tall? Lol

2 Likes

Holland is infamous for their hard sparring sessions. Lot of great dutch kb retire forcefully super early.

2 Likes

Not annoying at all! It is interesting to hear their history. I love the normal-peopleā€™s side of history. I know very little about the Russian/Eastern Europe historyā€¦but I do think they were part of that, yes.

My childā€™s father was Southern European. We came from a vastly different cultural background. E.g. he came from a much more traditional and patriarchal background. That lead to a slight bit of discussion. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah like a staunch catholic family background? I understand if so.

Iā€™ve done on an off 5 years of k1. I strongly encourage it (if you are not in Holland lol). You will learn how to throw a punch.

2 Likes

Haha really? Never heard that. Nice to learn something new about my own country.

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s pretty infamous.

I found a video of Mikeā€™s Gym:

@Marian hoi hoi! I lived there for five years almost. Didnā€™t learn a word tho, your english level was too good to bother.

2 Likes

Yeah im going to try to factor it in despite money issues at some point. It would also be a fun way to get more physically fit. And also just reassuring knowing i might eventually be able to handle myself if i need to use self defence sometime. I feel like people who arent trained in a fighting form can sometimes be even more dangerous than those who are trained. Because they cant cool of there heads mid fight and possibly call off the fight unless they are incapacitated. Does that make sense?

1 Like

He came from a very patriarchal family. Iā€™m not entirely sure what was the cultural difference and what personality. But he said I should wear dresses. Could not go on holidays alone. Could not look another man in the eye. Could not have my own goals as a woman. Etc. We didnā€™t seem to come to an agreement about such things. :grimacing:

1 Like

Im probably talking smack though. I havent been in a proper fight since high school. Which is a good thing.

1 Like

Idk, about street fights my coach said to us: " hit hard with your right and run like crazy"

1 Like

Ah cool! Yes, most people speak English well enough here.

2 Likes

Where did you live?

1 Like

Amsterdam wasnā€™t the place for me. Too many drugs. Rest of the country tooā€¦ I couldnā€™t stay sober.

What are dutchā€™s opinions about consuming cannabis in the streets in small towns?

1 Like

Haha so basically his advice was to stun them and escape? I like it :grin:

1 Like

Now you know why these mfs make you run for 30 min at the beginning of the lesson

1 Like

Yeah, I donā€™t like Amsterdam. I hate the red light district and drugs. I think it is too liberal in some ways here.

Opinions on drugs vary wildly here between different subgroups of people. Same for cannabis on the streets.

1 Like