Marriage, kids, and career

was never on my mind growing up. i didn’t think about it, when i was younger there is probably only 1 women i would have liked to marry, but she wasn’t as serious as me. and i never gave much thought to a career, just scouring the help wanted ads and finding odd jobs to get by. and i was never any good with kids, so didn’t think i would have any of my own. and now im single, unemployed, and have no children, go figure. some of my friends where more interested in becoming grownups than me, and they married and did there own thing, and now i don’t see them anymore.

i have regrets over career, and wish things would have worked out with a couple flames, but can’t change the past. i guess it just goes to show how thoughtless i was when i was younger.

9 Likes

I think having a career is very important for a relationship and marriage. My gf left me because I couldn’t work after 5 years.

3 Likes

yeah pretty much. i hope to be back to work before the year is out. not really looking for a relationship though, if it happens, it happens. i don’t know.

2 Likes

Yes. The reason I failed to marry and work was also because I just didn’t think or plan about it. I thought life would somehow take care of itself. It didn’t.

2 Likes

personally i think life is much easier without marriage and kids…imagine the financial stress…and also you just dont knwo how the kids will turn out

3 Likes

Are all very highly over rated.

I feel this way because I did marry, have a kid, and acquire a career.

But my husband abused me, and we divorced, my son died, and I permanently lost my career.

And after all of this, ironically, I’m happier now than I’ve ever been.

3 Likes

Marriage and kids are hard work. So is a career. I’ve had all three and it’s the hardest I’ve ever worked just to balance it all.

After my worst psychotic break I lost my career, let it die. Trying to get back into it, slowly, by finishing my second book.

Family I couldn’t give up on. A lot happened, but we all still love each other.

5 Likes

I was always kinda jealous of high school friends/acquaintances who knew what they wanted to major in in college, and what career they wanted. I could never figure it out. But one thing is for sure, I’m really glad I don’t have kids – that’d be SO much stress for me. I can barely look out after myself, let alone another human(s). I’ll stick with a dog instead, lol.

4 Likes

I knew that but then sz destroyed everything. I have a major university degree in physiotherapy but its useless as I can’t work or volunteer.

3 Likes

ironically for me, I didn’t care for nor want any of the three before my illness hit.

after the illness, suddenly I became wanting of all three, started planning where I could and now I want it all the more, the idea of not being able to have something or any thing because of an illness doesn’t sit right with me.

I guess it is perhaps a selfish way to see things and might not justify it, but it is what it is

2 Likes

I’ve had a career but I don’t put too much value on working. I don’t work now but I’m engaged and I will be having a baby in May. I. value mostly family. And it’s nice to start your own family.

2 Likes

Hello. I can reveal that I am impotent, which rules out marriage.
On the other hand, my overall condition is constantly improving, which allows me to dream of a career
and of additional achievements.

3 Likes

That seems pretty harsh. Were you working before? I forget that Canada doesn’t have disability benefits.

1 Like

My old pastor’s wife could never have children. They ended up adopting 3 kids.

2 Likes

It does, its not a 3rd world country lol
Yes I was working before sz which started at 20. I kept jobs for 3 years before that. I am on sickness unemployment, it pays more than disability here.

2 Likes

Its not harsh, its reality for guys. If I was a women she wouldn’t have left me as my job would be to take care of kids and the house. Its normal for a women to not work in a relationship but its not normal for a guy.

2 Likes

At least that was my experience with women here.

1 Like

Im 52. I have been in a lot of relationships, had a lot of jobs, careers. But i think im about to give it up, jobs, careers, girlfriends, im pretty much burned out and not as attractive to a partner anymore.

I think in the future i will live to bring joy and laughter to family and friends, and try to have a quiet, discreet way of life. Enjoy the small things.

3 Likes

@bluebutterfly , your attitude and dream sounds very appealing to me. And I am in a committed relationship!

2 Likes

I missed out because I waited too long. Sz hit when I was 28, -just- as I was looking for a partner and trying to get a job that used my skills. To be honest, there is no way I could have kept a stressful job, and a partner (let alone children) in the state I was in.

1 Like