Schizophrenia.com

Man, my dad must have been one tough cookie

Knowing what I know about life now, he was one hell of a survivor. A kid during The Great Depression, growing up during WWII, serving in the Korean war, two long marriages, very charming with women, traveling across the world, hung around with the toughest men, but managed to stay a nice, kind person, a good father, loyal but with his share of faults. He was just a kid from a small town near Sacramento, who liked to go hunting with his dog or swim in the water hole with his friends, or date the girls he grew up with. His life was hard, he had his demons for sure. I realize now I should have listened harder when he tried to teach me about life. A lot of stuff I write here comes from my own hard earned experience but a lot of it is stuff he told me through the years. I miss him. We used to have the best talks and he took me places and when I became schizophrenic it blind-sided him and he knew nothing about it but he stepped up to the plate fearlessly for 30 years and visited me in hospitals and listened patiently when I talked, and listened to every crazy delusion I had and tried to understand so he could help me but also because he was fascinated and curious ( in a respectful way). I take after him in some ways, I like to believe that he acknowledged that I was tough in many ways growing up, he sure knew how tough my life was and what I overcame. Even if he didn’t respect me (which I think he did respect me) I sure respect myself and he would understand that.

24 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Have a nice night.

2 Likes

Your dad and my dad had a lot in common, even the part about growing up in a small town near Sacramento.
I miss my dad too.

1 Like

Your story reminds me of how my mom is with me.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about how much more capable my father was than me. He was born about the same time your dad was. He was drafted for World War II. He went through the training, but they dropped the atomic bomb before he was shipped out to fight Japan. There was a good chance that he would have been killed if they had to invade Japan, so in a kind of perverse irony, I owe my existence to the atomic bomb. Maybe that is why I am so toxic. I had four uncles that fought in World War II. My dad had his demons too. They destroyed him. He did do a lot to atone for his terrible flaw, though.

1 Like

Your dad sounds like a great person

1 Like

You appreciate your parents a lot more when they’re gone. I appreciated my parents a lot when they were alive of course but after they die you I realize what they went through as human beings; not just being parents. I realize they told me so much stuff about life that went in one ear and out the other. Part of it is missing them but also they had a wealth of knowledge. I don’t now how anyone survives this friggin life to get to old age.

My dad was one tough cookie too. He served in both Korea and Vietnam. He was a Green Beret in Korea and he was a sniper with the Army Special Forces 82nd Airborne in Vietnam. He received a medal for bravery in Vietnam 30 years after the war. He and his comrades all said it was 30 years too late. At his retirement, after 20 years, he reached the rank of commissioned warrant officer 3.

4 Likes

Cool, cool. Really cool. Did you ever see “The Green Beret” starring John Wayne?

1 Like

Thanks………………….

Mate…I expect nothing less!

Your a good egg and it’s nice you remember such lessons. Shite you were a teenager in the 70’s. I was a teenager in the 80’s and I was an ass to my parents!

Glad you found some closure and appreciate the man. I still live with dad and he’s not a bad guy! He has taught me a lot about being social and forever grateful!

I’m glad you appreciate your upbringing matey. It’s not easy having someone sick in the family and your dad seems to have been great for hanging in there!

Much love from over the ditch matey!

2 Likes

No, @77nick77, I don’t think I have. Or, I was really little when I saw it and I don’t remember it.

1 Like

Thanks @rogueone. You’ve helped me a lot. Compliments are few and far between in this world and it’s easy to get off track competing with these normies and forget my own motto, “It makes me happier to be nice or help someone than it does to be mean to someone.” I don’t understand cricket at all but I appreciate what it takes to play it. Some people hate hearing “you’re doing pretty good for your age” but I mean it in a nice way.

1 Like