Lying And Schizophrenia?

Someone I know has Paranoid Schizophrenia. I just wanted to know if LYING is part of his condition. I don’t know if I should be angry at him. He is aware of the lies. The only time I suspect he is unaware of the lying is when he goes off on his paranoid delusions. But that I can understand. But what about lying for everything else. His motivation I guess about lying is to make him self feel better when in depression. But the lies are not exactly fully in touch with reality. But in any case I think he knows he is lying.

Part of his schizophrenia or is he a bad person who likes to deceive people. His lies hurt people. He seems to enjoy it. I would like to understand before I pass judgment on an old friend that I apparently really never knew because his life was all lies.

What I do know is that he has Paranoid Schizophrenia and Depression. Does he have control over his lying?

Hi, @adamlevine! I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Volunteer Moderator Treebeard

2 Likes

I don’t believe it’s part of the illness

2 Likes

Sometimes i find myself lying to hide my delusions and hallucinations from people. Maybe its a habit…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.