Low self-esteem/confidence!? Help!

My low self-esteem and confidence is making me very depressed. It’s painful to meet people. Just going out the door and throwing out garbage is making me nervous. I’m afraid that my neighbors will see me. Going to the store gives me panic attacks. Just walking past people makes me very uncomfortable. I don’t know what to do?

What did you do to raise your esteem/confidence??

6 Likes

For me it took time about 1.5 years to walk outside of my home and to keepmy head up and look into people eyes, 2 years.

I came out of it by exposing self to outside world with meds.

2 Likes

I’ve forced myself to do all these things, look into peoples eyes, throw garbage, go to the store, talk to people, keep my head up, walk in public. It still feels uncomfortable! Nothing seems to help…

What meds are you on? I’m on paxil, vraylar and zyprexa.

2 Likes

20 mg of aripiprazole and 5 mg of olanzapine, I feel it may differ to every individual and the duration and side effects.

2 Likes

i try not to think about the people who are stinkers that have taught me to bow to them.

Instead i remember my mom and dad who taught me that i should feel beautiful.

judy

4 Likes

Again, had to go to the store to get a package I ordered. As soon as I had to interact with the staff I became uncomfortable. My hands were trembling. After I got home I felt drained, like something sucked all the energy from me.

3 Likes

It sounds like you have agoraphobia, a generalized fear of being out of your shelter and in the open. I’ve got it too. I’ve kind of built a life for myself that doesn’t include other people. It took me a long while to get here. I wish I could tell you how to solve your problem. Benzodiazepines can help, but it is easy to develop an unhealthy dependence on them.

2 Likes

I don’t want to go on benzos because of the dependency.

Also I don’t want to limit myself because of this condition. I want to live my life. It’s just ridiculous.

5 Likes

Low self esteem improves with accomplishments! And being scared of people improves by talking to people! Sometimes the hardest thing to do is the best!!

2 Likes

I wish I could interact with people but I get these panic attacks. Although it has improved with the aid of paxil. I guess I’ll have to heal a little bit more before I try on talking and interacting with people. I need to feel comfortable in my own skin again.

It’s been a long mental journey, I sidestepped in the wrong direction both mentally and emotionally but I’m slowly getting back to who I was.

I’ll try to talk to people. I just hope I don’t get a panic attack.

2 Likes

I’m not shy, my self-esteem isn’t in the tank, and I’m confident to the point of being cocky sometimes, but what DOES keep me in the house and not in public is paranoia. I’m frequently thinking that people who can see me can read my mind, and effect my thinking in other ways like taking thoughts in or out of my head. Proper meds and CBT helps, but it’s still a work in progress.

2 Likes

Slowly attempt this.
1.) talk to your P’Doc about it.
2.) try deep breathing slowly in thru nose out thru mouth in those situation.
3.) try to blank your thoughts when trying numbe 2.

I hope this helps you.

2 Likes

Listen to Louise hay love yourself on YouTube for free.

I listen to it most mornings.
I’m a strong believer in what she says.

It’s programming your mind to think loving thoughts about yourself.

You could also buy her book you can heal your life.

Good stuff!

2 Likes

That does sound tough, I don’t know what the answer is. I wouldn’t say I have high self-esteem but I live a normal life and don’t fear people or social interactions. I also live in a foreign country and speak a couple of languages. Maybe you can do some research and find some books or even internet articles about what you are experiencing. I’m not sure if it’s a medical condition or if it’s something that can be overcome by changes your habits and beliefs.

Good luck

3 Likes

I read that low dopamine also affects self confidence (lower self confidence due to apathy) and meds reduce dopamine. Although it seems that its not only the meds but more the sz negative symptoms which prevent us from accomplishing life stages and having higher confidence. I was super smart and super confident before sz symptoms appeared, I was invited by college teachers for math and physics competitions as my grades were pretty high.

1 Like

Now its a bit less than average but I dont need it as much as I stay home 99% of my time.

1 Like
  • having low self-esteem

Some signs and symptoms of conditions related to a dopamine deficiency include:

• muscle cramps, spasms, or tremors
  • aches and pains
  • stiffness in the muscles
  • loss of balance
  • constipation
  • difficulty eating and swallowing
  • weight loss or weight gain
  • gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
  • frequent pneumonia
  • trouble sleeping or disturbed sleep
  • low energy
  • an inability to focus
  • moving or speaking more slowly than usual
  • feeling fatigued
  • feeling demotivated
  • feeling inexplicably sad or tearful
  • mood swings
  • feeling hopeless
  • having low self-esteem
  • feeling guilt-ridden
  • feeling anxious
  • suicidal thoughts or thoughts of self-harm
  • low sex drive
  • hallucinations
  • delusions
  • lack of insight or self-awareness

Causes

Share on Pinterest

Dopamine deficiency may be influenced by a number of factors. Existing conditions, drug abuse, and an unhealthy diet may all be factors.

Low dopamine is linked to numerous mental health disorders but does not directly cause these conditions.

The most common conditions linked to a dopamine deficiency include:

1 Like

@Aziz, did you guys kick me out of the discord group? I can’t see the group messages anymore.

3 Likes

No, cigarino closed the page as the other member left but today I started talking to cigarino via direct message. We can make a new page and invite you. I will tell cigarino now to make one as idk how.

2 Likes

I also thought I got kicked out so I unfriended everyone even in video games.

2 Likes