Love the word neurotypical

Yep…neurotypical. NT’s for short. This phrase was invented by people with autism or Asperger’s syndrome as a better word for “normal” people.

I like it too.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what we call them. Also known as, “Those Who Expect Eye Contact.” (Phooey.)

10-96

1 Like

My favorite word is fortuitous.

1 Like

Neurotypical? Hmm …I kind of like it, is this an actual dictionary based word or slang

1 Like

Wow who first used this word -neurotypical here on the forum, and how was it used?

it was “are you guys surrounded by people who are mentally ill” thread.

I’m trying to link it.

How about nontypical? I always wanted a new name for mental illness. I just don’t like it.

2 Likes

Thanks J - I appreciate it :smiley:- I am tired of saying normal or non sz when describing someone without a mental illness

1 Like

I like it too :purple_heart:

3 Likes

I’m having a hard time with that as well… I’m totally frozen when people in my Sz group ask… “Is your sister normal?” I say no… she’s not SZ but she’s not normal.

then they ask… Oh is she bipolar… Borderline… OCD?..

NO… she’s not diagnosed with anything… she’s just not normal.

Then they say… “Well when she gets diagnosed… it will be easier for her from there.”

I shake my head… and walk away… :expressionless:

4 Likes

I think I’m the first one to use it. I know I used it in that thread but I don’t know if anyone said it before me.

There it is.

2 Likes

The thing is just as what is construed ‘normal’ can change from one group/culture to another it is also hard to label most people as uniformly neurotypical or not. In calling people neurotypical or not don’t we ultimately run into the same problems as defining people as normal or not?
How do we define people as neurotypical or normal across various areas? Is it someone who goes outside a range that most people fit into (for example a 4 foot 3 and 6 foot 5 woman could be seen as outside a ‘norm’) or is it more complex than that?

1 Like

I like the word too. I always have since I first learned of it.

But. I’m having seconds thoughts on this today.

I personally have been given neuropsychological exams, twice throughout my life, once at age 7 and once at age 23. On both these occasions my results presented me as neurologically normal. As much as I like the term “NT” I can’t exactly go around referring to most others as NT’s when in fact I am one. Perhaps back when I was heavily symptomatic had I taken the four hour neuropsych exam I may not have presented as normal. But I am not symptomatic and when I am not symptomatic I am…NT.

So I figure I’ll respectfully hand this term back to the “aspies” who created it.

Just my thoughts.

I’ve always thought people with a mental illness were neurotypical which is why I was confused when I saw it used on this forum. I like the term personally, but I don’t know how well it applies.

Autism and mental illness are two different things. The former is not an illness - it’s a difference. There are no pills, no therapy and no chance of remission. Well, there is therapy, but it’s very different in scope. They don’t process things in the same way - not due to an illness, which can come and go, vary in severity, enter into remission and so forth.

@Louisa84 I do realize that those with mild autism invented the term ‘neurotypical’ to describe those who do not live with autism (typical brain?) I do not want to describe those living without a severe mental illness as ‘normal’ I do not like to use the word ‘normie’ or ‘non SZ’ to describe those who are not afflicted with a severe mental illness.
Do you or anyone else on here have alternative terms to describe those people who do not suffer from schizophrenia or another severe mental illness? I am open to new ideas

1 Like

quote=“Wave, post:17, topic:9701, full:true”]
Do you or anyone else on here have alternative terms to describe those people who do not suffer from schizophrenia or another severe mental illness? I am open to new ideas
[/quote]

Yeah.

Fortunate.

3 Likes

Used it here back in July…

10-96

1 Like

I think one thing sz has in common with autism though is that I anyway think of both in terms of having a “spectrum”. You hear about the autistic “spectrum” quite a bit but not at all to my knowledge anything about a schizophrenia spectrum. But when I think of everyone I’ve met and known who had schizophrenia I can only conclude that it must be a spectrum like disorder. There have been those who have never heard voices or experienced thought broadcasting at all ever, had only suffered delusions or paranoia. There have been those who despite any amount of medication have had seemingly uncontrollable and persistent symptoms. But there have also been those who you’d never know for the life of you that they were or had been at one time experiencing symptoms of psychosis.

It really seems to me that each of these people I’ve met were effected by sz to such varying degrees that I can only imagine it as a spectrum.

Just because someone isn’t mentally ill it doesn’t mean they’re fortunate. You can be perfectly stable and have extreme physical problems.

1 Like

I know. I suppose I was feeling a little sarcastic. Apologies for this.

Not only can someone who is not mentally ill have severe physical problems. They are not immune to life problems as well.

3 Likes