Love addict

I’m starting to believe that I’m a love addict. I feel most alive or happy if I’m in love. If not, I’m just depressed. It is like love distracts me from depression. I haven’t seen my ex boyfriend in 7 months, and I only miss the feeling of being in love ,not him as a person. Does Any of you know that feeling?
I have considered joining SLAA. But I’m afraid that I might just fall in love (or even sleep with) someone in the group

3 Likes
1 Like

Are the SLAA meetings in-person or online (video meeting)? Maybe if they are doing online video meetings, that might be better?? Cause then it would be harder to get the personal contact details of anyone in the meeting, compared to in-person, I assume?

I don’t have a whole lot of advice, but I hope you can feel content.

1 Like

I believe that the meeting are in person, they did it online once because of covid, but now they are personal again.

1 Like

I can see where u are coming from I think. I’ve been in such a place aswell. Only happy in a relationship

1 Like

It was just that I was psychotic when I was in that relationship and the psychosis made it amazing. I find the everyday life utterly depressing.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that.

1 Like

It was excactly what happened. We were both in psychosis and madly in love. Then after a year we were both medicated and the “love” disappeared. We met several times from marts 2020 to januar 2021 just to realize that the magic was gone.

To day I get my “happiness” from wine, but I can’t just drink every third day to feel alive. And my therapist goes "Oh join your dance class once again, that will make you feel alive ". And Maybe it will, Maybe it wont. But it isn’t like love.

1 Like

maybe its just bipolar symptoms…i know theres nothing wrong with love but the feeling of infatuation can be what your seeking, that rush! the excitement of falling in love! maybe its like a bipolar risk-taking thing…

ive done some pretty stupid things when bipolar, like buying loads of flowers for a girl i barely know, messaging my ex’s telling them i love them etc…pretty embarrassing now that i think about it but… comes with the bipolar lol taking risks even though they may not be reasonable but exaggerated and romantic

1 Like

“Lithium, don’t wanna forget how it feels without/ Litium, I want to stay in love with you”
That pretty much describes how I feel. Just in my case it wasn’t Litium that zombified me but olanzapine.

1 Like

If I felt I was more physically attractive, I would be in the same boat as you perhaps but cos of my feelings of physical inadeqacy, I personally don’t even go there with dating… And such

I think I’m pretty much in it for the rush. And I guess that, that feeling would have faded away as time had gone by, even if I was not medicated. I’m beginning to understand that in order to get the rush I would have to change boyfriend (girlfriend) every year.
I did the same Thing about the flowers though, my ex loved flowers so I bought him flowers all the time. That didn’t help ■■■■.

1 Like

Oh but I find you very pretty Mae. But I know that feeling has to come from inside of your self. People are telling me the same Thing, but I don’t believe it because of my overweight.

1 Like

i also think you are gorgoeus, it is hard to believe it oneself sometimes.

1 Like

I have been in and worked the program in SLAA. I went in as a second addict, but if you get a really strong sponsor, you can work with them to learn how to manage any crushes you have. I found the program very effective and helpful.

1 Like

Happy to hear that. Maybe I should get started. I’m just afraid of what will happen when I finally let go of that love affair and the everyday life and probably my depressions kick in again.
Can I ask how long you have been without the feeling of being in love?

1 Like

sorry to hear, and hey surely its not all that bad right? its like one of the natural things we get to enjoy as humans that doesnt mess us up like drugs or substance abuse. The rush of flirting, kissing etc is routed in our humanity like dancing, music, chatting, etc. one of the many joys of life…

i guess we just have to make sure we don’t abuse it right.

1 Like

btw i like your tagline haha : its just a dream, right?

The tagline is actually from the game silent hill. Spoken by a dying person

1 Like