Schizophrenia.com

Lots of people hate the disabled

Eye sore on society

My dad is one

Mostly big Repubs.

2 Likes

That’s the way I see it.

2 Likes

It is true and it’s unfortunate so much stigma around particularly around mi.

2 Likes

it really upsets me that my mums family friend I really love her but she doesn’t understand my illness idk if she is joking but she thinks I don’t love her anymore cos I don’t make effort to call her and stuff eventhough ive told her before that im too depressed to talk to her.

1 Like

this is (above wat I wrote) the main kind of thing that gets to me wen people think I don’t care about them anymore.

the truth is I do just dunno how to interact wen depressed and stuff like that

1 Like

I know that in the UK policy makers have encouraged the general public to be very negative towards people with disabilities .

I’m still waiting till I feel well enough to go back to work full time. I think some people are jealous of us. Like we are getting a free ride
In actuality our situation is nothing to be jealous of. I would do anything to have my old life back and get off of disability.

4 Likes

how so?

I didn’t know this

Through policies on welfare and the ‘scrounger’ rhetoric .

1 Like

Some hands are held out to help the disabled. For example, I see disabled individuals everywhere I go, and I support and affirm their rights.

I’m lead about by my heart. What leads you?

1 Like

Mental Illness is seen as a dubious reason to claim being disabled because it’s hidden from sight and we don’t have wheel chairs or crutches. Physical disability is bad, but disability of the mind is equally as tragic.

Me personally, I do not see myself as disabled as Schizophrenia is just part of who I am. It does put me at a disadvantage, but as long as I take my pills and avoid stressful things I can get by.

3 Likes

It’s true, a lot of my family members think I’m lazy.
It’s sad.

1 Like

If you’re disabled in your country that is not bad. When I told someone when I was abroad in UK I was scoffed at, because UK is pretty racist as they think I come and get their jobs and don’t pay taxes. When I told my co-worker that I’m disabled he started to say that not only I steal their jobs, but I also rip them off because I applied for disability allowance.

1 Like

I, personally feel like it’s not a huge thing in my state – everyone is nice and respectful, i have PSR and $800 in disability every month, my psych Dr gives me pills that make me feel better … a lot better than being placed in a straight jacket and thrown in a padded room …:disappointed_relieved:

However I can agree my old life of work, family and friends is something I still yearn for.

1 Like

Think about the word use of people who have schizophrenia or other conditions.

Mentally Ill
Disability
People who suffer from…

Even our vocabulary is set up in a way that disallows viewing schizophrenia as anything but wrong.

1 Like

Funny you should mention that. Many mental health workers are trained not to call a person “schizophrenic” the idea is taught that we are people first. Trust me, should a person ever disclose their illness to someone who is unaware of it, unfortunately, saying, “I’m schizophrenic.” gets a worse reaction than saying, “I suffer from schizophrenia.”

The first one invokes thoughts of numerous news articles to some while others think “schizo” (or as sometimes they pronounce… ‘skitso’) which has a negative connotation and is viewed as a derogatory term by many people afflicted with such an illness.

While the latter might make the listeners slightly more sympathetic in their judgement because after all, having schizophrenia does make a person suffer. Either way usually nothing good comes of it except newfound reasons to be judged and I do not recommend informing anyone of such a thing unless necessary.

What else can we be called? Lunatics? I guess it would make life significantly easier if I could just say I have an illness, without having to add the word “mental”. Heck, we should start a movement. Having a “brain disease” sounds more scientific and less like a psychiatrist disorder. Technically, it wouldn’t be a lie either. We should all just say, “I have an illness.” And if pressed or asked why it isn’t visible, answer, “It is a brain disease.” (For some reason “disease of the brain” sounds worse heh.) People will likely think we’re slow or have some mental impediments, but eh, it is a cognitive disability. Maybe we should say, “an incurable brain disease”… then people will likely think it is some form of cancer.

Just don’t forget to add, “Oh but don’t worry, it’s not contagious.”

On a side note, it might actually start as a disease in the gut that later affects brain function.

1 Like

They hate us on a tough work day and feel indifferent or sorry for us when they take a vacation. But keep this in mind. The social safety net that helps us exists because someone gives a damn.

2 Likes

I’ve found that some people with an immediate relative who has a disability can be less judgmental of our plight. I think being educated about disabilities and aware that some ordinary tasks can be a struggle for people with disabilities helps. The thing is most people without a disabled loved one could give a ■■■■ about us and what we go through. The average person is not trying to hear about other people’s problems. I don’t really blame them for it either.

In a way it’s kind of like how people with drug addiction are viewed. People don’t really care. I’ve heard people say, “They’re self destructive.” My questions is, why (did they “choose to use”)? It isn’t until some wealthy person’s child dies of drug overdose that it becomes a problem worth investing in a solution for. The average drug addict [Similarly to saying “schizophrenic” this terms sounds worse doesn’t it?] dies and sure the family hurts, but it doesn’t garner any movement or foundation to reduce it. Heck, if a person on drugs is a minority or comes from poverty they often end up incarcerated.

If a person with a mental illness comes from poverty, especially if they have do not have supportive relatives, they often end up homeless and drug addicted, at best they are institutionalized or moved to an assisted living facility where they share a room with someone and those are the luckier ones.

I’ve always felt a little sad that often times people with a mental illness are lumped in with those who have a drug addiction or have a mental impairment induced by drug addiction, but at the end of the day, at least someone is trying to help people somehow.

1 Like

Oh my goodness. I don’t know where to begin.

I have both a physical illness and sz. I’ve seen both worlds. But a lot of people reallly hate both sides. I can’t even describe it.

I’m one of thousands of disability advocates on Instagram. Although mine is small, we have been either shadowbanned (banned in secret), banned pubilcally if they speak out, and either reported for “inappropriate content”.

Facebook and Tiktok are doing the same thing.

My mom was called a thousand names because she has a disabled child (well, me) and I was told that I was born out of incest or out of wedlock.

Here people don’t even build schools for the disabled because people are worried about the neighbourhood’s reputation.

It frustrates the heck out of me.
I sometimes feel that I’ve been cursed, punished, and hated. Or I don’t deserve to be alive.

3 Likes

I think things have gradually improved for disabled people. Not everywhere and sadly not enough. I remember when I was about 13 or 14 years old, a couple who were old friends of my parents visited. They had a son around my age. I had a few friends over and we were playing a video game I had rented back when that was a thing. It wasn’t an easy video game, matter of fact, I’d say it was a difficult one. Fun but difficult.

Well, the son of the couple who was visiting watched as we played. I politely handed him the controller because he seemed eager to try it. Well, with guidance of my friends and I who were there, he was able to pass the first two stages. We had only gotten up to the 4th stage. Time passed by and it was the last day to return the video game rental without being charged a late fee. So as was normal then, I decided I’d walk with my friends to the rental store to return it.

The new kid wanted to come along. My friends and I were fine with him joining. The dude was genuinely cool and pleasant to have around. Well, it came time to return the video game. He asked his mom if he could come along. She was very hesitant. They were from out of town and therefore not familiar with where the video store was if he anything happened. I mentioned that it was a small town and the rental store was only about a 15 minute walk. She looked at her husband for guidance, he nodded his head, our new friend had permission to go with us. Before we left, his mom implored that I hold his hand while walking across any street.

Off we went. As we walked, we came a cross a few streets. I held his hand, we walked across everything was fine. Eventually we got near the video store, which was on a main road that often had people who were walking. As we got near the street to cross it. I reached out and held his hand. We walked across it but as we did, I realized people were giving us funny looks. My friends didn’t care, neither did I honestly. We returned the game and walked back. It was a good day. When we returned he told his mom he wanted a Playstation 2. Heheh.

Years later people would sometimes mention someone they knew saw me holding hands with another guy. It was a small town after all. So what does the story have to do with the topic? Our new friend, the son of the couple that were old friends of my parents, the guy whose hands I held, he had Down Syndrome.

That day stays in my mind. I never was mean to people who had a disability, but I learned two things, one is that people with Down Syndrome are not stupid as some would assume. They think differently. He was able to pass two stages with guidance of a video game some friends had struggled with. We had a blast guiding him through it too.

The second thing I learned… I consider that day a good memory but I will never forget the states and looks when crossing the street while holding his hand. Some people looked almost afraid, their facial expression wide eyed as they walked past us. That experience was just one day… some people have that experience their entire lives. People looking at them in fear.

Well, over time I developed schizophrenia and now feel those looks more often. On a good day I can feign being normal but man… I am glad I had that experience and more importantly, I am glad he was super happy that day.

I was going to go on about how it might be a godsend if one of the Kardashians developed schizophrenia, but he, I wouldn’t wish it on them or anyone and they already advocate for transgender people’s rights. I mean their is Kanye West with bipolar disorder and bringing awareness to mental illness can be a good thing… but he seems to have gone the religious route, I wouldn’t call that bad except that… he has this aggrandized sense of self (I wouldn’t call it a delusion, I mean he is world famous after all) and from some of what I’ve read and seen he might have a messiah complex. The thing that bothers me most though is that… well I’m no theologian… but if I’m not mistaken the central figure in the beliefs he preaches and has sermons about, well if I’m not mistaken, that figure had teachings about humility, modesty, compassion, and forgiveness.

I’m not hating on Kanye and I almost feel bad for singling him out but let’s face it, many of those in the spotlight who preach about the figure who brought those teachings… well they hardly practice humility and modesty… maybe forgiveness to a certain extent but forgiveness, in it’s truest form requires humility, modesty, and compassion.

Even when forgiving oneself as a higher power might allow us to do so… forgiving others is easier than forgiving oneself for any sadness, regrets, guilts, and remorseful feelings one might have. Sorry… I sort of went off tangent. I didn’t my best to avoid religious discussion, I tried to speak of it more in a philosophical manner. Anyway, in short, Kanye West might be a public figure who has identified having bipolar disorder and that isn’t too bad of a thing. That and… in a sense, after years of schizophrenia I have forgiven myself about having it. It is not because I am a bad person, it is not a punishment from the great potato in the sky. It is just something that happens.

1 Like