Loss of sense of smell

Once again, my husband has pointed out a smell that I just can’t smell. On rare occassions I seem to hallucinate smells, too.

So I finally went online and found a bunch of articles about schizophrenia and its link to altered sense of smell.

I wish psychiatrists would have told me about this… It was one of those symptoms that I just never brought up. I guess now that I am doing better, I am noticing the milder symptoms.

I’ve never had a sense of smell. Always thought it was my allergies… Can you post a link to those articles? Be interesting to read.

I have a sense of smell, but I smell things that no one around me seems to notice. Whatever that means. Smells, like visuals, seem heightened at times.

1 Like

I can’t smell anything like ever EXCEPT peanuts (I’m allergic) which i can smeel/sense wheb somebody is eating it around me which people always thought i was crazy… Does sound suspicious, now that i think about it… Is there nothing i can trust anymore??? Been questioning everything in my life these past few weeks after the schizo suspicion arose… Coming Wednesday i will finally see the pdoc

Usually I smell things no one else smells

Usually I can’t smell anything at all.

I’ve hallucinated smells before. I could smell this really foul odour in our bedroom a few times. It actually made me feel physically ill. My partner couldn’t smell it. Every now and then it may happen but it’s mostly under control.

I have a pretty acute sense of smell. Minor odors bother me sometimes.

I kind of wish my sense of smell were dulled. I feel like I’m part bloodhound sometimes.

It’s actually a positive evolutionary trait to have a dull sense of smell, it allows you to mingle around people more comfortably. Man’s sense of smell was selectively dulled over generations due to this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10457530/

There are many more…

Thank you, i appreciate it

I have a very poor sense of smell.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.