Losing a diagnosis

From what a therapist told me, a disorder is an illness that disrupts your social and inner life. So if you manage it and cope with it I guess it can’t be deemed a ‘disorder’.

2 Likes

Well I’m coping with and managing sza “disorder” just fine. That must mean I don’t have it.

I am not saying anyone who can manage is free of problems.

This is specifically about depression and anxiety.

Something like SZA or SZ is something very clear cut. These things seem wooly in my case.

I am not trying to diminish other peoples problems. I would never do that.

Just I am unhappy about being given these diagnoses, especially when I find out by a clinic letter and not being told in person that was their intentions.

1 Like

I personally think if you tell them so that you are off the meds and somehow can prove that you can cope without meds, then you still have anxiety and depression, but you just happen to be able to manage it, like stop it interfering with your life too much.

But idk, just felt like chipping in my opinion.

It’s a good question. Not very easy to know.

2 Likes

Unless you actually don’t feel anxiety and depression anymore.

1 Like

Sza wasn’t the disorder in question…

1 Like

The anxiety is hard to judge. I am not convinced Pregabalin is helping - and I have tolerance to Diazepam now and that does not help

Depression wise, I refused the meds and been of them for 6 weeks.

I believe my depression as a minimum to be situational, and not deserving of a diagnosis

Anxiety has always been a problem, but my old pdoc never diagnosed me with it.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re playing that card. I think you lack insight into your psychosis (anosognosia) and they’re trying to help you.

You can’t lose your license over things like depression and anxiety.
Not even sz.
Only if you’re proven to be a liability

I lost my license for two years before due to SZ

Can’t let that happen again

Then you were probably proven to be a risk.
It’s not an ailment that goes away, you know

I talked with my psychiatrist about anxiety from being in cars and on rides that seemed to be a new thing with my onset of schizophrenia, but the medication he gave me didn’t seem to work, and I told him so.

I think this is probably due to sensations and things being complex and the synesthesia of riding in a car and paranoia was a feeling much similar to anxiety to my expectation but in reality the drug was such a sure shot at fixing it, that it just wasn’t anxiety.

Then I told him that I wanted to quit taking that medicine because it didn’t work, but as it turned out, it works well for akathesia (and I tolerated it very well already) for the drug I’m on so I ended up using it for that.

The drug is called Clonazepam. I think I was told its in the family of benzos and you can become addicted to them or w/e but I didn’t take much anyway and I don’t take much now, so hopefully I won’t know what I’m meant to be addicted to, if I have to switch pills eventually.

I don’t know the way to spell some of these things so take the spelling with a grain of salt.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.