Looking at 55+ homes

It’s another 4 1/2 years until I’m 55. I think I will plan on moving into one of those places. My kids will all be grown and on their own. I would have company and not a burden to my family. The only sad thing is it’s unlikely I could have pets.

My mom lives in a 55+ community but she owns her own home so she does have pets (2 cats).

Hopefully, you’ll be able to find a place that allows pets. Pets are so important at every age. :dog: :cat: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My partner’s grandma lives in a 55+ apartment complex and really likes it. And she’s got a dog. So maybe?

3 Likes

I haven’t found one here yet that allows pets. I might look at the ones in the bigger city. It’s around an hour away but my daughter lives there and so does my brother and his family.

2 Likes

55+ communities in my area are extremely expensive.

1 Like

I know that some around here are priced according to income. Government subsidized.

2 Likes

Yes they are less expensive in Canada.

1 Like

Not sure how this works in canada but in the US you can have a therapist write that you need a pet and the landlord has to comply. My friend that has an anxiety disorder did this and got a cat to help her

1 Like

In the states there a VA (veterans affairs) program which will help with low income senior housing. I just found out about this yesterday. You need to be a veteran of course…

1 Like

This is because of the ADA (Americans with disabilities act). Landlords don’t ■■■■ around, if you have a letter written, the pet stays.

1 Like

LS! In my country, the Netherlands, we have a right-wing government, that decided to spent less money on the elderly. The elderly should now stay in their own home and get their care in their own home. On top of that there is a housing crisis in my country, it is almost impossible to find a new home. I am now 61 and the only thing I can do is stay in the relatively cheap rented appartment as long as possible. I have to be able to climb the stairs though to the second floor. I have a contract to rent my appartment and they can not raise the rent much, only an amount equal to the inflation plus one percent. I now pay 359 euro monthly. Homes for the elderly on the ground floor (without stairs) in Amsterdam cost at least 620 monthly, money I am not willing to pay. And besides I probably do not qualify because there is a waiting list of twenty years! So Fat Mama you are lucky that in your country you can find a 55plus home.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.