Locking of threads seems to be escalating

I enjoy being treated nice and feeling A LITTLE BIT like I belong. Believe me, in real life I don’t get treated very nicely. Maybe other people could say the same thing.

1 Like

Hi @pob. This seems to have upset you a lot. I’m not sure what happened however to my knowledge a moderator has not deleted any posts of yours. Perhaps there was a glitch while posting? Do you recall which post it was or what thread it was in and I can look further into it.

Where are the rules of the forum? I was on another forum and the rules were always posted at the top in a thread. So if you were new you could find them. And they were always a reminder that there are rules.

Pinned to the top of each category, the first post in that category, is the guidelines.

Also FAQ can be found to the left of your avatar, top right.

http://forum.schizophrenia.com/faq

I do believe there are many on here who are dedicated to healing and support. There is a vast core of us who I feel does try to be helpful and supportive the best way we know how.

This past week my wheels have been burning off.

I try very hard not to post when I’m starting to get wobbly because no one wants to discuss plant emotions with me. But there are times when I’ve posted that I regret when I’m back on level ground.

There are some people who have helped me so very much over this past year… and even this past week.

You know how it is… there are always a few who effect the vast many.

1 Like

yeah its getting over th etop.

It actually could have something to do with rehabilitation if someone got a 57 Chevy and devoted all their time to restoring it and took pride in it, rather than sitting around doing nothing. It would be a positive hobby…

Firemonkey and others,

We might be a little more assertive in terms of locking posts - but its usually with respect to a single area: people jumping on a thread of discussion with support for what from our perspective is likely delusional thinking, and therefore encouraging that perspective.

From my discussions with psychiatrists, they tell me that you don’t want to encourage or reinforce delusional thinking - that just makes things worse. At the same time you really don’t want to challenge it - because these are typically pretty fixed beliefs and challenging them just damages the relationship with the person. better to just say “ok - that sounds like it would be stressful, though I don’t have that belief myself”.

This forum is for positive support of people who have schizophrenia or who are concerned or want to help people who have schizophrenia or may have schizophrenia. By positive, I mean things that help move people in a positive direction - either just through social connection, or directly through sharing inspirational or helpful information.

Its not just for people who are well, its not even just for those who are just trying to be well - it might just be for people who are trying to survive at the moment. Of course the longer term hope of mine is that eventually all people will get more of a recovery-oriented mindset - but I’m sure not everyone has that all the time and so we have to be tolerant of people who might want to talk about other things - like 57 chevys, or whatever - because that helps form the social connection with other people which I hope will ultimately move people more towards a recovery mindset.

As long as discussions are not moving in a negative direction and might help people then I see no problem with them. Of course - as with all things in life - there are a lot of gray areas.

We’ll try to be a little more careful about being too quick to lock threads and if we are too quick - feel free to complain to me and we’ll evaluate the rationale for the locked thread. Like everyone - we moderators are imperfect people, we make mistakes and we generally keep trying to improve ouselves.

8 Likes