Schizophrenia.com

Lithium in schizophrenia

I got from my doc lithium to stabilize my mood. I am prescriben 2x250 mg. Is it low or high dose?What can i expect?Does it improoves concentration and motivation If I am maniacal?

It’s not so much about a high/low dose. Some people do fine on 600 mg, some need 2700. Lithium is all about the blood level. People metabolize lithium differently, that’s why there’s such a disparity in dose. There is a “therapeutic window” for lithium, usually between 0.7 and 1.2. Whatever dose it requires to hit that window will dictate your dose. Like I said, lithium is not the same from one patient to another. There are no “high” or “low” doses.

what can i expect?

A fine hand tremor, increased thirst, and increased urination. Also possible sweating and nausea. Take it on a full stomach if possible. That covers the side effects.

As far as therapeutic results, it will take 2-8 weeks to reach full effect AFTER the blood level is high enough. Literature shows it is VERY effective in treating suicidal thoughts, and works more on depression than mania, especially in schizoaffective.

taking in consideration i have long time problems with easy maniacal characteristics :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lithium did not help my highs and lows so much - Depakote was a more effective drug for me.

Lithium is well known to mess with your kidneys and thyroid - get frequent blood tests.

Best of luck with everything!