Link between hallucinations and dopamine not such a mystery, finds study

Researchers at Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC) and New York State Psychiatric Institute (NYSPI) found that people with schizophrenia who experience auditory hallucinations tend to hear what they expect, an exaggerated version of a perceptual distortion that is common among other people without hallucinations. Those with hallucinations and other psychotic symptoms are known to have elevated dopamine, the main area of focus for available treatments for psychosis, but it was unclear how this could lead to hallucinations. The researchers found that elevated dopamine could make some patients rely more on expectations, which could then result in hallucinations.

The findings, published recently in Current Biology, explain why treatments targeting the production of dopamine could help alleviate this condition.
“Our brain uses prior experiences to generate sensory expectations that help fill in the gaps when sounds or images are distorted or unclear,” said Guillermo Horga, MD, PhD, assistant professor of clinical psychiatry at CUIMC and a research psychiatrist at NYSPI. “In individuals with schizophrenia, this process appears to be altered, leading to extreme perceptual distortions, such as hearing voices that are not there. Furthermore, while such hallucinations are often successfully treated by antipsychotic drugs that block the neurotransmitter dopamine in a brain structure known as the striatum, the reason for this has been a mystery since this neurotransmitter and brain region are not typically associated with sensory processing.”

Full story here:

Full Research Paper here for your free download:

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.cub.2017.12.059#

17 Likes

Hmmm. Interesting.

1 Like

Sounds like something martial artists would say. “These are your current perceptions. Your current point of view is based on your past leading up to this point.”

“You are who you are today because of the things that happened yesterday”

3 Likes

This study says that CBD is useful and effective in treating psychosis. I myself have noticed that ever since I’ve been taking CBD 10 mg once a day, in capsule form, I have had zero paranoia. I’ve been totally free of all sza symptoms.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s working for you - but I just wanted to point out for future newbies reading this that you are also on several antipsychotics, right?

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:i’m just going to say Interesting :face_with_monocle::thinking:

and pretend i read it :joy::joy::joy:

oops lol

1 Like

Yes I am. I take three different AP’s. Risperdal Consta, Geodon, and Seroquel. They all work together along with my CBD and my self treatment with daily meditation, yoga, piano playing, reading, prayer, volunteering, socializing in person, and working a part time job, to keep me mentally recovered and healthy.

2 Likes