Schizophrenia.com

Lingering delusion that won’t go away

The real reason why I don’t want to get a pet like a dog today is because I still hold on to the false belief that my father will be drugging and torturing my pet.

Although it’s one of my delusions I experienced five years ago, it still lingers today.
It really doesn’t go away.

Is this a problem?

I really want to get a dog but I can’t as long as this delusion remains intact.

I know it’s not possible but I can’t shake off this kind of thinking.

I told my father this and he is heartbroken and so am I.

He thinks that I should tell my psychiatrist.

Can my doctor help?

Most of my other delusions have gone away except for this one.

I don’t know if more meds is the answer to be honest.

4 Likes

Personally, I think you’ve reached the sweet spot of meds and functionality. I don’t think a med adjustment would do much more than send you around in circles. My recommendation is to talk it over with your therapist and make sure that 1) You’re comfortable having a dog at home and 2) that you are ready to devote the time, money, and effort to having a dog. I have a Siberian Husky/German Shepherd, and while I have and will do anything for him, he does become costly…and he’s very low maintenance. Some stuff to think about.

3 Likes

Yes thanks @alien99
I have a feeling that more meds is not the answer.

1 Like

That is dumb. Your parents don’t drug and torture you, why would they do that to your dog?

1 Like

I know it’s dumb or doesn’t make sense.
Delusional thinking is not rational.

Your Dr might just up your meds, I think its better to live without a dog than having more negative symptoms due to more meds.

2 Likes

Yes but I’m heartbroken.
I love dogs.

1 Like

Well its up to you and your Dr. I thought you wanted to lower your Risperdal dosage.

1 Like

maybe once you got a dog the feelings will go away as you see nothing is happening to the dog?

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to lower it now.
Maybe I should leave things alone.

1 Like

The sad thing is I don’t know if it will go away.
It may intensify too.

1 Like

yea true, it would be a risque huh… maybe better not try it in case it makes you more sick. But it’s kinda sad that you love dogs but can’t get one cause of that. I don’t know what you could do to help it…

1 Like

Maybe I’ll talk to my new therapist about it.
@alien99 is right.

I already told her about this delusion last time we talked.

Thanks @lekkerhondje

3 Likes

It’s good that you admit this and that you’re willing to talk to the therapist about it. Maybe over time you’ll be able to get a dog

2 Likes

Yes I’m hoping too get a dog.
I’m glad I opened up to my father.
He seemed to be understanding.

Thanks @Pianogal

1 Like

must be kinda sad for your father too huh. I hope you don’t feel guilty about it.

2 Likes

The whole situation is pretty sad.
But maybe just maybe I can overcome my fears through CBT with my new therapist.

I’ll see what she thinks.

1 Like

yea i hope the therapy with your new therapist will help you =)

1 Like

Yes hopefully.
Thanks @lekkerhondje

1 Like

I don’t even think it’s a true delusion.
Just lingering false beliefs that are held over from delusions I had in 2016 when I was involuntarily committed to the psych hospital.