Letting in the light-art exhibition(UK)

an opportunity to exhibit as part of a temporary lightbox installation in Stratford

Outside In is teaming up with Bobby Baker’s pioneering Stratford-based arts and mental health organisation, Daily Life Ltd, and Bethlem Gallery to showcase extraordinary work by artists with personal experience of mental health issues. The group exhibition, focusing on the theme ‘Letting in the Light’, will be made up of works selected through this open call process, presented on stunning lightboxes in the centre of Stratford, East London. The show will launch in January 2016 and run till the end of March.

The exhibition title and theme is a reference to Groucho Marx’s great line: 'Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.’ We’d like to see work that encourages people to re-consider their preconceptions about health, or work that conveys a message or meaning that is important to you.

Artist and Artistic Director Bobby Baker says “I was judged and underestimated because of my mental health problems, but when people see my autobiographical drawings its helps change the way they think about mental health. Artists like us, with unique experiences, can create work that enlightens and delights people. If this idea of showing our combined strengths strikes a chord with you, and you have work you love and would like to show the people of Newham, do send it in!”

Images will be selected by a panel which will include artist Bobby Baker and representatives from Outside In and Bethlem Gallery. Successful artists will be notified in the week commencing 16 November.

http://outsidein.org.uk/news_and_events?item_id0=16593