Lets talk finances?

What i REALLY WANT is independence. I

Real estate is expensive where i live though and unless i want to buy a dump i have to wait. I could rent but rent is expensive too. My hope is that i can qualify for a townhouse eventually. But i’ve been hoping for that for a long time. :frowning:

im bad with money, i seem to not save as stupid things happen. always back to square one.

Anthony have you ever thought of a work at home job maybe in nursing?? like a help line or something?? You maybe could do that part time?? although you might make too much money for disability.

my doctor once wanted me to stay longer at a hospital than the 3 day psychiatric hold. I said no not because of finances but because i was paranoid as hell in the hospital. But i’m glad i didn’t because i didn’t have insurance at the time and the state covered the psychiatric hold but not sure if they would have covered a longer time!!! Have you thought of filing bankruptcy??

That’s definitely a goal of mine! The company I used to work for has nurse case manager positions that work from home. I would love to do that.

I just need to improve and stabilize before adding any new stress to the mix.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

Sounds like a great goal!! I think that would work out really well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am on SSI, and it only pays me, well starting this year $721 per month, and that’s with me paying my dad $300 per month in rent. I worry if my parents die, what will happen to me, as no place charges only $300 per month rent. Plus, my dad helps to pay for my car repair. I have an eighteen year old car. It’s the only car I’ve ever owned. I bought it new eighteen years ago, but have long since paid it off entirely. I really need a new car, as this one is sort of scary to drive in now. Also, on SSI you’re not allowed to have more than $2,000 in the bank, and for food stamps, it’s $1,000, not that I have anything left over to save anyway. I’m currently going to school, and hope that I can finish school while my parents are still alive, so I can get a job that pays decently.

1 Like

I live with my parents so I don’t have to pay rent. I get a disability check and use that for food mostly. It usually runs out by the end of the month.

Yes I’m actually very seriously considering it. I am on disability so it will take me years to pay it off plus interest? Whew no thank you! I went to a doctor that said I needed to go to the hospital and I said I can’t afford it and she was pushing it so hard and she said well you can just pay $25 a month its not that big of a deal you really need to go and I did but she couldve reffered me to the Easa program that I ended up in anyway that is free. Jerk.

I worry about that too if something were to happen to my parent. But you just got stay focused and for you do good in school. My car is pretty old too but you do have me beat in age. :wink:

Once when i didn’t have insurance they wanted to do a blood test on me. said it would be like 25 bucks. It was over 100. I was ticked!!! they shouldn’t say the price if they really don’t know! they don’t care if you have to spend money and they really should. I’m sure your doctor meant well and wanted you to go to get healthy but they still should take into account debt that you could have for a long time. I think anyways.

Hope it works out.

1 Like

the disability benefit in the uk is changing. i was awarded it indefinitely but since the new govvernment came in they’ve changed it and soon, when i get the letter i will have to reapply and it worries me. right now i’m comfortable. i run my car, pay my rent and council tax, eat well and can afford to save a little each month. if you r on the highest care componant it 300 a month plus with other benefits i earn about 1,300 a month so i’m ok for now.

I used to worry endlessly about being alone and without money before I got ill but now I am not so worried. My parents are not rich either but I do work so I hope to get a pension someday.

2 Likes

Just a thought for some of the posters here. Have you looked into Amazon Turk? All you need is an Amazon account, an internet connection, and your home computer. It’s a crowd sourcing platform, and you can do all the work from home (I see it mostly used by housewives, college students, and retirees). It does not pay a huge amount of money, you would probably make more at minimum wage, to be honest. But you can do it from home, for as little or long as you want.

A requester puts a job up onto the Turk HIT board (HIT stands for Human Intelligence Task).

The Turker then accepts the job, completes it, and turns it in.

If the work is accepted the requester will pay you a sum of money (often they are short tasks for a couple pennies, occasionally you can find things like surveys that may pay upwards of a dolar.)

Like I said, you most likely will not make a huge amount of money, maybe $50-$200 a month, and you don’t have to go through an interview for employment, or go anywhere to work.

Lot’s more info here www.turkernation.com. This is a forum website for amazon turk, it’s not run by amazon, but it has a lot of good information on finding good HITs and avoiding possible scams.

If you have talent in programming or interpretating foreign languages then odesk might be a good spot to check as well.

If you have a talent in graphics there are also websites where you can go to find jobs creating graphics at home (I know the least about this, I have heard about it though).

Almost forgot to add: As long as you don’t make over $600 from a recruiter over a year you will not have to report income earned from Amazon Turk.

One thing i will mention is though for amazon turk you are an independent contractor and self employed and if you are on disability there are rules for an independent contractor like limits on how much you can make and how many hours you can work. Need to keep track of your hours too. There might be additonal rules i don’t know, but i would suggest researching before starting it.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I hadn’t thought about that angle.

Looks like you are supposed to pay income tax on anything you make there. If you make over $400, earnings above that are subject to self employment taxes as well. At $600 the requester will send you a 1099 to file at the end of the year.

More discussion about that in the following thread. It also has a link to the 2012 tax guide.

http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?5892-Reporting-Turk-Income

Anyone saving for retirement??

I really have zilch saved which is a scary thought. But if you put in 2000 dollars into a 401k or ira you can get a savers credit of up to 1000 dollars for middle and low income people on your taxes here in the usa. Just an FYI.

1 Like

good idea my retirement plan is to purchase more piggy banks, but funny ones then it is more fun to put your change in !
take care

2 Likes

Looking for regular work, not getting any younger @ 30…I’ve got a degree, but have serious physical and mental health problems that prohibit me from functioning, not to mention being talked down to…Mental illness creates real world problems; GUARANTEED

1 Like

hmmm…money problems…yes, I have problems…my biggest problem is that I am constantly aware that If I stop smoking, I would have $240 extra a month so I wouldn’t have to rely on my mom to help me with groceries every month…(yes, I know I smoke too much!)…I would have around $485 clear for living expenses after bills if I stop smoking…I say March 1st I will try again…my mom and step dad stopped smoking “just like that”…I have nicotine patches to help me, but the first week is a real bitch kitty…I don’t know if I’m strong enough, I’m still really emotional over my divorce…anyways, that’s the only way I could solve my money problems…

1 Like