Let’s talk about mental health: Breaking down stigma

For hundreds of years, people with depression, autism, schizophrenia and other mental illnesses were treated much like slaves or criminals: imprisoned, tortured or killed. During the Middle Ages, mental illness was regarded as a punishment from God, and people were burned at the stake or thrown into penitentiaries and “madhouses.” During the Age of Enlightenment in the 17th and 18th centuries, people with mental health challenges were freed and institutions, called “insane asylums,” were established to support the treatment of mental illness.

4 Likes

thanks for the info. didn’t know. let’s not forget the lobotomy era.

1 Like

society is extremelly opressive. people alwais looking for guilt, punishion. society is a hater. freedom is key. the world is condenmed. i hide myself from society in order to keep my freedom.

1 Like

It is often brought up in the conversation, seeing news headlines about “woman stabs mother and dials 911” type articles with the words mentally ill attached doesn’t exactly help the average reader’s perception of mental illness. I guess it gives out the idea that we’re all ticking time bombs.

2 Likes