Laugh At Yourself From Time to Time

No. I really mean it!

They say “Comedy is tragedy plus time”. I get that.

When I was being served a meal on the Psyche Ward one night, the menu said, ‘Meat Lasagna’. In my psychotic state, I broke down the words ‘Meat Lasagna’ into…

Me At Los Angeles Screen Actor’s Guild Not Applicable

I was convinced the chef downstairs who was preparing my food was making fun of me! Like I was acting…just a bad actor.

I’m just saying, it’s okay to have a laugh at your own expense once and a while. We’re all kooky in our own way with this affliction. And sometimes we’re both brilliant and ridiculous…both at the same time!

:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Is there any way we could turn this forum into a more upbeat experience? The negativity around here can be overwhelming and spirit-crushing.

Could any of you post an episode you went through, like I did, that was at the time difficult, but in hindsight quite humorous?

One time in the psych ward me and another patient laughed so hard about not much of anything really. We laughed for a really long time. It was great.We went to where it was game night and laughed through a game of rummy. Everyone thought we were kooky.

There is positivity around here if you look. Some people are having terrible times and this is a place for both positivity and negativity.

Another time i was in the psych hospital I thought there was a guy disguising as a patient to get close to me. Men and women were kept separate except for classes so i avoided him. Guess that one wasn’t so positive sorry it’s what came to mind

2 Likes

Well yeah, I was convinced I was at the center of some sort of Truman Show and that 30 yo was the deadline for finding a wife, in order to “complete the game”.

But some intrusive thoughts were telling me there was an easier way out if for some reason I turned out to be gay :flushed: and that I needed to go to Switzerland and just lay low for a while.

So I did, I took a plane to Geneva, but while there, I kept being mocked for my supposedly small winnie. Girls would look at me and giggle, all dogs would show me their buttholes, even large commercial signs on miscellaneous buildings seemed tailored to drive me nuts.

Oh, and do you know that splashing fountain on the Geneva lake ? When I looked at it I suddenly saw a rainbow (the LGBT movement symbol). I finally felt relieved, at least for a couple hours :disappointed_relieved: :rainbow:

(Disclaimer: I am actually straight !)

2 Likes

@Andrey

I had a Truman Show episode too…

I drove to another Province in Canada and threw a rock at an outdoor drive-in movie screen to try to stop the play I felt I was in…that I felt I was the center of…

I thought satellite cameras were all over me.

It was my way of trying to tell the World to screw off and leave me alone!

2 Likes

Throughout my life I’ve had ideas from time to time that I thought were brilliant, but after reflecting on them for a few minutes I realized that they were the stupidest ideas ever thought of by a human being.

When I was about 10-years old I spent a month building a trike in my parents’ backyard. My brother gave me a 5’ rebar and two car tires. I worked on it and worked on it. I was going to be the coolest kid on the block. I finally finished the trike and rode it around the backyard. It worked! All of my declarations of being a genius came to fruition.

It was time to hit the street. I pushed it to the fence and had a problem: the trike was too wide to fit through the gate. I tried to lift it over the gate but it was too heavy. I tried to angle it through the gate but it still was too wide.

My brother helped me lift it over the gate.

4 Likes

I had a year where I felt I was in my own version of the Truman show. I was in college.

2 Likes

I was flying back to Fairbanks after being in the hospital in Anchorage and it was in a small prop plane and the turbulence was horrendous…but every time we bounced up and down, I couldn’t help but giggle like crazy! Everyone was looking at me cuz I think they were scared, but I felt like I was on a roller coaster. It was so fun! Also, don’t expect Santa to deliver any presents this year…my last lunch at the Anchorage hospital we had reindeer sausage and I’m pretty sure I ate Rudolph!

2 Likes

My life is a joke lol but I don’t think that’s what this post is saying. Tbh I try to laugh at my experiences but some of its just not funny anymore :frowning_face:

1 Like

:rofl: :deer: Nah Rudolf is probably fine, and scratching his red nose against a tree bark as we speak :wink:

1 Like

tbh man I see the wrong words all the time when I’m reading. I was texting this girl yesterday and I texted her back and then I realized I read her text all wrong.

1 Like

Hmmm. Taking my prolixen with no water or anything. I coldn’t swallow it so I sucked on the pill like it was a piece of candy until it was gone. It tasted nasty though. There’s a whole story behind this which I won’t get into.

I was in the psyche ward and we had group therapy first thing in the morning every day. The counselors went around the circle and everybody had to check in. There was about 12 of us.

So in group one day I was checking in and then some girl who was about 3 seats away stood up, walked over to me and have me a big hug. I didn’t understand why but the staff got mad and told her sharply to sit down. She went meekly back to her seat but 30 seconds later I was still talking and she goes, “Awwww”, and stood up walked over to me and hugged me again.

Well, later that night she came to my room and…well, I don’t kiss and tell.

But we kissed and I told everybody.

1 Like

I was in the psyche ward doing what I usually do most in hospitals which is sleep. But the nurses thought I was sleeping too much and not mingling with people enough so they locked the door to my room so I couldn’t get in. I was about 21 years old. So I just went to the door to my room and curled up in a ball in front of it and tried to sleep on the floor. I didn’t think I could have pissed them off more than I already had but when they saw me on the floor it really made them mad.

About a year after getting married, my husband got a card in the mail from a female coworker. I was flustered, angry and upset all afternoon. I couldn’t believe some woman had the nerve to send my husband a card. Maybe she didn’t know he was married because he never told her! I couldn’t stand it finally and had to open the card. It was a wedding invitation. But it was too late for that to make any difference. I was fuming that he had a relationship with this female coworker… By time he got home I was crying and shaking as my poor husband had to explain that everyone at work was invited to this woman’s wedding. It took me hours to calm down. When I “came to”, I was embarrassed. It was a wedding invitation to my husband, and his wife. Is that funny?

2 Likes

During another stay on the Hospital Ward, I felt the whole world wanted to kill me.

So to refute that, I made my own white ballcap and wrote Captain Stewbing on it in rainbow colours with markers. I wanted to show the world that I wasn’t a bad person…that I was actually the Captain of the Love Boat!

I wore the hat on the floor, and some of the Nurses couldn’t control their giggles! But I didn’t mind, as i felt i was making the world a more funny and loving place!

1 Like

They taught us in screenwriting school about the thin line between tragedy and humor.

It’s true.

One time when I was in the hospital I was walking around singing a hip-hop verse about being stuck in the hospital.

A lot of people thought it was funny :rofl:.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.