Large transporter protein linked to schizophrenia

# Large transporter protein linked to schizophrenia

Scientists have suspected mutations in a cellular cholesterol transport protein are associated with psychiatric disorders, but have found it difficult to prove this and to pinpoint how it happens. Now, Kazumitsu Ueda of Kyoto University’s Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS) and colleagues in Japan have provided evidence that mice with disrupted ABCA13 protein demonstrate a hallmark behavior of schizophrenia. The team investigated ABCA13’s functions and published their findings in the Journal of Biological Chemistry .

5 Likes

What I want to know is how you tell when mice are behaving “Schizophrenicly”. Do they put on a tin foil hat and run around in circles or what? lol

1 Like

I read they know by the mouse’s behavior and cognitive worsening like memory problems and social isolation and maybe addictions.

1 Like

Also when mouses have negative symptoms they isolate and do nothing. They put them in an enriched environment.

1 Like

For instance, there’s the prepulse inhibition test. There are all kinds of test, but of course they are all far from perfect.

2 Likes

I am going to embrace eggs again, they’re a good source of cholesterol. Especially given these supporting papers

1. “A direct interaction of cholesterol with the dopamine transporter prevents its out-to-inward transition” A direct interaction of cholesterol with the dopamine transporter prevents its out-to-inward transition - PubMed

2. “Serum cholesterol and Suicide in first episode psychosis: A preliminary study” Serum cholesterol and Suicide in first episode psychosis: A preliminary study - PubMed

And avoid fermented diary —> cheeses & yogurts

1. “Short-chain fatty acids suppress cholesterol synthesis in rat liver and intestine” Short-chain fatty acids suppress cholesterol synthesis in rat liver and intestine - PubMed
1 Like