Lack of Attention span

is lack of attention span affected by meds, or the illness? I can barely watch a 10 minute youtube video, an hour long TV show feels like a marathon, and I can’t even do a movie anymore.

2 Likes

I have the same problem with movies!! I can’t sit still and I have taken off in the middle of a movie in a theater before…
I think it’s the illness.
I think that we all experience some kind of brain shock from the scary contents of our voices/hallucinations and that all that fear wrecks our ability to focus and sit still, like we’re all half in a state of fight or flight…
I could be wrong though, that’s just my speculation.

I do know that Abilify causes restlessness, though, so yes, meds can also do that.

I’m like this too.
I lack the focus to even read articles or watch a movie.
I’m pretty sure that it’s the meds that have basically zombified me!
Especially the Depakote.

The last movie I saw was so bad I walked out on it…

And I was on a plane. :wink:

Seriously though, I’m the same. I have trouble even reading a couple of paragraphs posted on some of these threads.

http://www.bcss.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/cognitive-deficits-in-sz.pdf mentions reduced attention span.

I have my suspicions that meds are more to blame. The last book I read was when I came off meds for 2 years (and ended up in hospital psychotic :smile: ).

So it’s just another trade off or another side effect I put up with now.

I have zero ability to concentrate on tv or movies. Zero. My limit is this forum with music in the background.

glad I’m not the only one

2 Likes

it is the illness…

Both. Meds I found made my attention span even worse, to where it was so bad I basically slept all day bc I didn’t have the focus for anything, but even off meds when my symptoms are active it can be total crap.

Zoloft has helped it quite a bit. It’s more normal now.