Schizophrenia.com

Just quit my antidepressant!

I recently stopped taking my Wellbutrin and so far my depression hasn’t returned and my mood is stable. I didn’t tell my psychiatrist and went cold turkey. It was causing me serious constipation and my bowel movements are back to normal. I feel so happy that now I only take 2 medications instead of 3. Yaaaay! Just thought I’d share my progress.

I am sure if I quit my medication, which is an antipsychotic, the effects would be disastrous and psychologically devastating. That is quite certain.

I came off my antidepressant at one stage without telling my psychiatrist. I got worse so slowly that I didn’t realize what was happening and next thing you know I’m having suicidal thoughts all the time. I came off mine slowly, not cold turkey. Maybe talk to your psychiatrist about something else you can go on? It’s good that you’re not constipated anymore.

You will crash.

I wouldn’t advise just coming off your meds without talking to your pdoc about it. I hope your symptoms don’t come back. If they do, please see your pdoc promptly.

I quit wellbutrin because of side effects. I’m feeling better now. I might go back on cymbalta.

I wouldn’t dare quit my antidepressants it would make me really ill

I had to stop wellbutrin because I had a seizure.

Wellbutrin didn’t cause the seizure, I was abusing a different drug that I was not prescribed (a drug that is gray area legality in USA and not fda approved) that made me have a seizure.

It was working well for me but my pdoc said he cannot ethically prescribe it to me unless I get an OK from a neurologist.

Im going to see a neurologist next week hopefully !!!

Well I hope nothing happens. I was never a depressed person anyway and I think it was temporary. So far I’m doing good.

Is it winter where you are? Because winter makes me more depressed than mild weather. So I would not consider dropping my Lexapro until spring, if ever.

I live in South Florida so it’s hot year round. Right now the weather is a little bit chilly but I’m doing alright so far. It’s been a week so far.

Please at least call your doctor and tell them you stopped the medication due to side effects. They can’t do their job properly if they don’t know everything.

I understand wanting to go off of medication because of side effects. But why didn’t you tell your doctor?

@LouiseG - I don’t know. I just didn’t want a big fuss over it I guess. I’ll tell her next time I see her which is towards the beginning of next month. But so far I’m doing good. But thanks to everyone for there concern I appreciate it a lot.