Just had a diagnosis as scitsaphrenic and looking for support

Hi. My name’s Lowri. I have just been diagnosed as scitsaphrenic. am a 32 year old female. I have had 4 psychotic episodes in the past 6 years. I have entered other world like states where I’m hallucinating. I’m currently under section for my latest psychosis. I’m being treated with clopixol. I came around about two weeks ago and feel better than ever. I have suffered from depression or negative symptoms of psychosis since my first psychosis. I don’t feel depressed at all since coming around this time.

I’m looking to chat to people who’ve had similar experiences and I’m interested in alternatives to medication.

1 Like

I’m interested in alternatives to medication.

There is no alternative to medication. No “natural” products or supplements have anti psychotic properties.

You can still take natural supplements but it has to be in conjunction

5 Likes

I was more thinking of shamanism and art therapy.

So long as you’re taking your meds, then you could also try those things. If a shaman suggests you come off your meds, then run for the hills. I’ve tried art therapy myself and found it useful. But it was in conjunction with my meds.

1 Like

There are lots of therapies you can do in conjunction with meds, but meds are a necessary component. In addition to geodon, I do neurofeedback therapy. That is a form of brain training exercise. It teaches you to activate and deactivate different parts of your brain at will, which helps me to shut down anxiety and paranoia.

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is also helpful to a lot of people here. It is a series of mindfulness exercises that train you to stay grounded to reality and think rationally. It helps with delusions and paranoia.

Sarcosine is a supplement that has been clinically proven to treat the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, such as disorganization, lack of motivation, and flat affect. To he best of my knowledge, it’s the only thing on the market currently that treats negative symptoms.

Unfortunately, the only thing that stops the hallucinations is medication. If you are feeling good on your medicine, I recommend staying on it. Each time you stop your meds and relapse, you are less likely to respond to your original medication and dose in the future. This means that if you relapse and have to return to meds, you will need a higher dose to function again. The goal for all of us should be to be on the lowest effective dose of our medication.

Additionally, every time you have a psychotic episode, it causes brain damage. Your brain actually loses some gray matter. It is possible to recover from this brain damage, but only if you commit to taking your medication to prevent further damage.

I hope all this helped. Welcome to the forums!

Ninjastar
Volunteer moderator

4 Likes