Just got the news

My Uncle who I loved a lot passed away. They pulled out his oxygen tube and he died 45 minutes later. He was in a lot of pain. But I still can’t believe it. He told my Aunt before he died “We had a great life” and I just found that so sad. But glad he got to say that. But I’m going home for thanksgiving. I have 2 weeks off from class so I’m gonna go home, go to the memorial, go to the funeral, eat thanksgiving dinner with my family. Then go back to school whenever…Rest In Peace Eddy. You were a great man and person and uncle, friend and my favorite barber I’ve ever had too! :smile:

13 Likes

P.S., don’t let my happy face at the end of my post fool you, i’m crying right now. But trying to bring to light some good memories to comfort me. I’ll ttyl folks.

13 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

Poor Eddy, he sounds like a nice uncle to have known.

Did he use a barber razor? I’ve always been too scared of an accident to get that done, it must take real skill.

I hope you can stay in touch while you are dealing with this, but if not then I will be thinking of you.

1 Like

He owned a wig shop and he did haircuts too. Yeah he did it all. He was a Vietnam airforce vet. He was truly 1 of a kind with his sense of humor. I’m gonna miss him a lot. My relationship with him became very strong the last year or so since I’ve made great strides in recovery. I’m glad I got to enjoy the latter part of his life and fully appreciate him, and he got to see me recover, because I didn’t fully appreciate how great he was when I was in the midst of my psychosis. My last memories of him was walking to the pizza parlor with him to bring back pizza to the family and he was just hilarious and completely rebellious, even at 79 years old. He was 100% Irish born and raised in the Bronx. Was a true New Yorker. Lived in his New Rochelle apartment the last 20 years of his life. Was born poor but made the most of it. Never drank alcohol. Was such a funny guy. Gonna miss him.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, Jon. I know how much you care about him. Take all the time you need to be sad or angry, or sentimental, or whatever you need to be. It’s a hard thing to deal with.

You should dedicate a song to him. I bet he would like that.

3 Likes

Thanks @ninjastar you are a true friend. I remember when I was in college at Iona, and was facing tons of psychosis and stigma, I would visit him and my aunt for haircuts and/or pizza…and even though they’re very conservative they were the only ones who were nice to me at that time in my life…even though I was smoking tons of weed and stuff they would tell me everything will be alright. I never realized how much he and my aunt helped me get through tough times and whatnot. And for that I’m eternally grateful. Thanks everyone.

4 Likes

I’m truly sorry for your loss @chew
May your Uncle Rest in Peace

1 Like

Thanks @wave you are a really good guy. It means a lot. I think I’m gonna go for a walk now though. Later.

2 Likes

Take care @chew so sorry to hear about this. internet hug

1 Like

Thanks him and my aunt had celebrated their 56th anniversary back in the summertime.

1 Like

My condolences Jon. :pensive:

2 Likes

I prayed for him like you have asked but he is in a better place right now. Even if you don’t believe in god you can think that a piece of him will still live on in you. I hope your thanksgiving dinner is memorable in a good way.

1 Like

:cry: sorry chew my bro!

1 Like

I believe in God and I’m thinking he’s in an even better place now than he was yesterday. Thank you for your prayers. This is probably the toughest loss I’ve ever had and I’ve lost a few people the last couple years…

Sorry about that, @chew :heart:️ Glad you get to go home to be with family. Get and give lots of hugs while you’re there!

1 Like

I’ve already gone over the scenario of hugging my aunt and say “he was such a good man”. But the idea of it makes me break down crying. So I think I’m just gonna hug her and say I’m sorry instead.

1 Like

Please tell her he was a great man, especially if it makes you cry. What an honor for her. People hold back too much. God bless, @chew :heart:

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how close you were to your Uncle and what he meant to you.

I hope you and your family are ok. Just take your time.

1 Like

I still can’t believe he’s gone forever. I used to want to be alone in heaven maybe with the woman I loved, but now i can’t wait to see him again. So sad.

1 Like