Just got home from vacation

Traveled to Illinois for a week to see family. Had a good time. My father in law fell and hit his head, and now he is all neurologically screwed up, and is bound for a nursing home. He’s 76. The highlight for me is we are possibly taking guardianship of a 14-year -old. He’s the son of my wife’s friend. The father is unknown. The mother and the kid butt heads, and it is a bad situation. He’s smart, does well in school, plays sports, and was great with us. His mom is bipolar and she is on some sort of social assistance and blows the budget on cigarettes. She then leaves the 14 year old to babysit an autistic 6 year old, and a 4 year old. My wife said if things don’t improve, we will take him. I’m hoping we get him, he’s an awesome kid.

8 Likes

Hey alien, sorry to hear about your father in law. Glad you are back - good luck with the guardianship of that kid and really hope that your father in law gets better soon - take care

1 Like

wow, a kid… very cool. I hope you do get to help get this guy back on track.

1 Like

Terribly sorry to hear about your father in law :frowning: I hope he gets the best care possible.

How do you feel about taking care of the kid? Are you excited? Nervous? Either way, I’m sure you’ll give him a better life.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

@radmedtech, To answer your question, it keeps me up at night. On the one hand, I’ve always want a kid since we can’t have any, but on the other, I’m a little intimidated. I texted with him most of the night, and he ended it by telling me he loves me. But I really hope we can get him because he needs a stable home with less chaos.

2 Likes

That’s so sweet that the two of you have already connected.

There are many joys to raising a kid. When I was younger, I helped raise my roommate’s son because she had BPD and wasn’t able to take care of him. I was basically his sole provider for 2 years. And it was very rewarding. Especially knowing that I had made a difference in his life.

Of course, there are going to be stressful times too. But I think the good far outweighs the stress. Especially since you know that he’s already a good kid.

I hope you get to think about this and make the right decision for yourself and your wife.

Blessings,

Anthony

Yeah, the kid’s mother has bipolar and is on social assistance. Their trailer is infested with bugs and there is piles of ■■■■ everywhere. She blows the monthly budget on cigarettes. I want that kid.

Are they going to be taken into care as well? Hopefully by other relations and friends? When the 14 year old leaves, the other two will have no one if the Mom isn’t taking care of them either.

1 Like

This is good news. That kid is very lucky to have you. Like J, I was wondering about the other 2 children…

@bridgecomet and @SurprisedJ, the other 2 kids will have to stay with their mother. We don’t have the resources to afford 3 growing boys. But if we can get the 14-year-old, we will likely file for guardianship (cheaper and less intrusive), and handle him as if though we’re his bona fide parents. Sucks about the other 2, but they don’t have the issues with mom like the 14 year old does. If we take the 14 year old, it will free up money for their mother.