Just got diagnosed with Epilepsy, but it's not all bad

So I saw my neurologist yesterday, and he made the diagnosis of Epilepsy. I had a grand mal seizure 2 days ago. I haven’t had one in 3 years, but prior to those 3 years, I had 6 in four months. He told me not to drive for a week, which almost cost me my job. I drive for a living (delivering auto parts for a dealership), but they called and spoke to my neuro and they were satisfied. Suppose you’re wondering what’s good about this?

The neuro put me on 300mg of Dilantin, an old, but HIGHLY effective anticonvulsant. It was never extensively studied for mood-altering properties like most anticonvulsants (Depakote, Tegretol, Lamictal, etc.), but I did some research and found that many of the studies were suppressed. In ONE day of taking it, my mood has done a complete 180. I am not sleeping forever, and I feel more happy and less stressed. Not manic happy, but the normal happy. As long as the seizures are under control, I’ll be happy.

Wanna hear something weird? A long-term side effect of Dilantin is enlarged gums. I have to brush at least 3 times a day! Whew!

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you got hit with a grand mal… But am glad to hear you’re feeling better and you didn’t loose the job.

It sounds like life is changing for you in many ways. Hope all continues to go well.

I’m rooting for you.

sorry to hear that , but i guess you will have gleaming clean teeth.
take care

I’m sorry to hear that you had a grand mal. But it’s good that you stay positive. It’s great if the meds are helping with more than just EP.

Unfortunately, I suffered an allergic reaction to the Dilantin today. Called the neurologist and he put me on 1000 mg of Depakote.