Just found out Medicare doesn't cover Shingles shot

Last Wednesday my doctor asked if they could give me a shingles shot. I said ok. I’ve since found out Medicare doesn’t cover it, and the shot is something like $150.00 to $200.00. It’s supposed to be covered by your Part D Prescription Drug insurance, but I didn’t get the shot at a network pharmacy. I guess I’m just going to have to pay for it.

1 Like

I saw a shingles vaccine sign in my pharmacy today.
Don’t think I’ll be getting one.

1 Like

I would call your doctor to see what options you have.

2 Likes

Ooooooh that sucks. Why the devil didn’t they warn you that you had to pay for it? That’s unethical.

1 Like

I just checked with Walgreens pharmacy. They are $94.00 a shot, or $188.00 for two. I’ll probably go to a network pharmacy to get the second shot, so my prescription drug insurance will cover it.

2 Likes

Where is the nearest in network pharmacy? That is a steep cost.

1 Like

About a half a mile away

1 Like

I think it’s covered under part B

2 Likes

Which Shingles shot are we talking about? The old Zostavax or the new Shingrix? I got the new Shingrix and it was $47 for each shot (two). After effects of second shot kicked my butt.

1 Like

The new Shingrix. Walgreens may not be the lowest price. I’m don’t know what my doctor is going to charge.

Kerry wants to know where you got them for $47.

If you don’t want to post where you got them publicly, please feel free to pm me.

CVS under my Medicare Advantage Plan.

1 Like

Medicare does cover it. But you might have to go to an in network pharmacy with your advantage plan.

1 Like

I would ask your doctor if they can absorb the cost for the first shot since they made a mistake offering you a shot that wasn’t covered at their location. They should have known better. Also, get the shot record for this first shot so you can show it to the in-network pharmacy when you get your second shot.

1 Like

I’ve checked with several pharmacies today, and the going rate for one Shingrix shot is $180.00 to $200.00. If I wait until next year with my new Part D plan, it will cost $136.00. Right now with my current plan it’s $156.00 as I haven’t met my deductible yet. I messaged my doctor about it and asked how much it was going to be.

1 Like

If it doesn’t potentially kill you the government’s unlikely to cover it.

1 Like

I just found out today the Medical School is charging me $186.00 for the shot. They have a payment plan available if the amount is more than $100.00. I’m going to ask for one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.