Just diagnosed with fibromyalgia

:disappointed_relieved: Does anyone else on here have fibro alongside their Sz/SzA/bipolar/etc…? I’m in a fibro flare (tons of pain, headaches, weakness, shortness of breath) and I am also super depressed. I don’t know how to up my mood. I’ve been crying a lot and I feel so dark inside my chest. Depression is very common with fibro, so maybe this depression is separate from my schizoaffective or maybe the fibro flare is making my schizoaffective mood symptoms flare, too. IDK. I believe I’ve had fibro for about 10 years prior to diagnosis, because I’ve been having pain and weakness flares going back that far.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that @Blossom.

I’m having a lot of pain at the moment too.

Getting an MRI because they are looking for masses with my cancer history.

But I’m also wondering if I have fibromyalgia.

What does it feel like for you? Like, what does the pain feel like and where is it?

A couple of years ago i got patches of super sensitive, hurt to touch skin. This then developed into a bout of horrible pain in the backside. This subsided after a few days and since then I get shoots of pain all over my body. I also have developed plantar fasciitis which is a crippling pain in the foot.

The sensitive patches of skin are called allodynia.

These are all physical symptoms of fibromyalgia, so although I haven’t officially been diagnosed as having fibromyalgia i have displayed them. I haven’t been to a GP in 8 years to get the diagnosis, but know they can’t do anything about it anyway.

I feel the pain and put brain fog down to the aps.

Feeling you and sending you the best wishes.

Yes, I have fibromyalgia. My GP wants me to go on amitriptyline, which is also used for depression. Best of luck to you.

I used to have it a short time it went away.

I hope it’s not so @Blossom I’m very saddened to hear this. I’m not familiar with what fibro is exactly but I think I have some idea. I hope you’re not in pain. Thomas Aquitaine gives 5 remedies for sadness that are wholely effective. Maybe you could google them. Please keep us all updated

@anon44466342. I take that for migraines

Yep. I’ve had fibro for about fifteen years. Was hard to get a diagnosis back then. No one believed it was real.

I take cymbalta for it.

I’ve been wondering if I might have fibromyalgia. Does anyone know what the process is for getting diagnosed?

I’m pretty sure that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by my last family doctor.

I haven’t had a flare up in a while.

1 Like

A gf of mine has fibro. She says it’s very painful so you have my sympathy.

In the UK, you would usually be referred to a rheumatologist.

1 Like

I think you should see a rheumatologist as well as your pdoc as soon as possible. The depression needs to be treated too

@anon1517417, I really hope your scans are negative for masses. You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I had my MRI on Monday and actually just got a notification that my results are now available in the portal.

I think I’m going to wait for the doctor to call before I check them.

But I’m nervous! :grimacing:

If it showed cancer they shouldn’t have released the test results until they could tell you in person.I’m thinking you’re most likely ok

1 Like

The email has this message:

If you do not wish to know the results of a test including gender of your baby from a fetal ultrasound or tests pertaining to a potential cancer diagnosis then please choose to wait to view those results.

I hate the portal for this kind of stuff!

Edit: That message should really say “sex” of your baby, not gender. Get it together local hospital!

1 Like

Oh wow. They actually let people get cancer results that way?! Oh my gosh! That’s appalling to me

1 Like

Warning: May be controversial:

I have a good friend who was diagnosed with fibro and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome a few years ago. She spent some time in the psych ward, and was coupled with a pdoc there. She saw him on the outside. She started getting help for her mood disorder and therapy to deal with childhood sexual trauma. After about a year, the fibro and CFS were gone. She spoke to her pdoc about this and the info he relayed was that nobody knows the origin of the conditions and they could be psychosomatic, which seemingly in her case it was. He was fairly convinced these illnesses remain elusive and hard to quantify. She’s now of the opinion she never had fibro or CFS, and is grateful for all the help she got. I can personally detect a huge change in her, and she’s in a much better place.

Just one story. NOT A UNILATERAL EXAMPLE

1 Like