JRR Tolkien

Who has read Tolkien? I’m just starting the Silmarillion. Have read The Lord of the Rings multiple times and The Hobbit.

6 Likes

I’ve read them back when I could read.

4 Likes

I got the hobbit paperback as a kid one Christmas. Easily stands out as in my top 5 favourite presents ever.

I use ebooks now but have just bought the lord of the rings.

3 Likes

I couldn’t read for about a year. It killed me because that is my life, you know?

4 Likes

I used to read 3 to 5 books a week. The last book I read was “The Help”. It took me 3 months.

2 Likes

I have Kindle Unlimited and read quite a bit.

6 Likes

Believe it or not, I’ve never read any Tolkien. I’ve read that The Hobbit is the best one by him to start out with though.

Right now I’m currently reading the graphic novel, Maus.

2 Likes

I’ve never read any Tolkien. I’d like to, though. I’ve read some C.S. Lewis and i know that they were friends.

5 Likes

Yep, got all of Tolkien’s books in a book club my mom belonged to and read them all including a biography on Tolkien…can’t wait for the new movie “Tolkien” coming out soon…

2 Likes

Back in my reading days I loved CS Lewis.
I think I might get the.audio books

3 Likes

I read the hobbit and Lord of rings trilogy- so intense could never read again

2 Likes

I’m a huge fantasy fan mostly due to the works of Tolkien. The silmarillion is such a good book considering it wasn’t a finished work when it was published. That whole back story is so dramatic and a great read. I’m sure you’ll like it!

2 Likes

I’ve read the hobbit. But I didn’t read lord of the rings. …just watched the movies.

1 Like

I read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy before I was in fourth grade.

1 Like

I started to read the hobbit back in high school I think. I’ve really enjoyed the new cover page of the hobbit book where there is a whole bunch of mountains with snow caps and a sun set behind them.

I’ve read Silmarillion, Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. They were the books that got me hooked on fantasy & scifi genres. Other writes like Robert Jordan, George Martin and Frank Herbert are interesting too. My fav author of all time is Terry Pratchett — Pratchett’s Discoworld series is fantasy satire. I find it more difficult to focus on reading these days but it is still one of my favorite timekillers.

1 Like

I read Tolkien when i was 6, The hobbit. But since i was so young, i think i didnt understand it fully. After i never read it. I used to read loads when i was a kid, but i lost that capability. :’( Wuthering height was my favourite book as a child of that age. Now i cant remember the last time i read a book.

1 Like

I read the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit when I was in grade school. I probably read them about four or five times. Lately I have been watching the movies a lot. I was pleasantly surprised by the movies. I remember thinking when I read the books that they could never make a movie based on these books because everyone would picture the different characters differently. But the characters in the movie were as close to the way I pictured them as they could be. Also, the city of Minas Tirith in The Return of the King was so close to the the way I pictured it when I read the books that it was uncanny.

2 Likes

The Silmarillion is a pretty dense read in my opinion, alot going on at once. I have tried to read it at least twice but can’t get through it.

1 Like

I can only read stuff now that is so interesting it holds my attention. At scool i learned to focus and read over until comprehension. I read stuff like the snow leopard when I was into eastern philosophy. But then it changed to BIBLE learning. Now I study it and think I know it all but don’t. So fascinating…!

1 Like