Johnson & Johnson Hit With $8 Billion Jury Verdict in Risperdal Suit

A Philadelphia jury found that a subsidiary downplayed the risks that the anti-psychotic drug could lead to breast growth in boys.

A Philadelphia jury on Tuesday hit Johnson & Johnson with an $8 billion verdict over its marketing of the anti-psychotic drug Risperdal, siding with a Maryland man who argued that the health care giant downplayed risks that the drug could lead to breast growth in boys.

The verdict in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas was the first to award punitive damages against Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary, said Thomas R. Kline, a lawyer who is part of a legal team representing the man and more than 10,000 people in similar lawsuits.

Compensatory damages of $680,000 were already awarded in the case in March 2016.

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/health/johnson-and-johnson-risperdal-verdict.amp.html

2 Likes

Well, there goes the incentive to develop new head meds.

2 Likes

They still have plenty of incentive. It’s still a multi billion dollar industry and new meds are going for like $1800/month. This barely affects their budget.

2 Likes

They’ll just raise the cost of the next one, do more testing than they did on risperidone, and market it as a safer alternative

1 Like

Johnson & Johnson lied to the FDA, their reps lied to doctors, they valued profits over safety, profits over patients.

All they care about is money.

2 Likes

They’re worth 360 billion. I would say 8 billion is a reasonable fine and probably mostly taken care of by their insurance.

2 Likes

I have breasts from when i was on risperdal, when i told my pdoc he did nothing.

I would have fined them 180Billion USD for the poison they make

I developed breasts from both Risperdal and Invega as a man. Yes sometimes they are embarrassing but the relief from the voices and the fact I couldn’t find another drug that worked as well (believe me I looked) made it worth taking. I don’t care for how these lawsuits affect the price of the meds for those of us who need it. But if a boy could have that embarrassment removed as a result and the operation paid for that is not all bad. In spite of that I hope the drug continues to be made.

Being publicly traded, they’re legally required to. The current laws regarding publicly traded companies need to be rubbished as they encourage corporate sociopathy.

I just hate rewards like this as they only ever affect the people who can’t afford it. What was needed was sending the people who lied to jail for a gorram long time.

1 Like

But how they lost a case? It says on a label that causes prolactemia?

It didn’t for a long time after they first introduced it.

2 Likes

I would be completely lost without risperidone

1 Like

I swear I heard another AP that has the breast growth risk as well.

I take the generic & developed breast . But I too would be lost without it for sure. Only thing that somewhat works. It’s not a 100% cure & I struggle most of the time but it better than other’s i have tried, alot I also don’t trust injections I tried invega extended relief caps & hated them.

I’m a girl and wouldn’t mind developing more breast. I feel for the guys, though. That has to be miserable and even embarrassing.

1 Like

margeboob

1 Like