Jobseekers told to call their depression 'low mood' on applications

1 Like

When I was applying for internships I was told I should not say the holes in my resume were from years of mental illness, but that I’d been dealing with “personal problems” and to make sure to tell them it was under control now

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say anything unless I had to.

3 Likes

Lol I would never say that I have “low mood” on a job application.

4 Likes

That’s like asking to get denied a job :smirk:

They probably took all the ‘low moods’ out and threw them in the garbage.

5 Likes

At the dbsa meetings when I used to go to those someone asked whether she should disclose to her employer about her bipolar disorder and the general consensus was like “it shouldn’t have to be this way but it’s probably a better idea not to”

1 Like

I just leave the gaps as gaps and hope people still contact me.
If they ask me what were the gaps about Ill just say personal issues that does sound good :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I would come right out with it if asked about the holes but would never address the subject on an application.

2 Likes

I would never get hired anywhere. I have a 21 year long gap.

1 Like

Put your volunteer work on your resume Gina.

3 Likes

We have filled more than a few positions in my office during the time I’ve been there, and I simply cannot imagine such a person being selected for interview. Like, where would you even put that on your resume?

2 Likes

I think it was uncle Henry on here that said he put his diagnoses on his resume. He sent out a ton of resumes. No one called him for an interview. He got a couple of letters wishing him good luck in his job search. Was a completely different story when he took his diagnoses off his resume. For what I remember

2 Likes

Good point. Me neither. Except at my dad’s kennel haha

Makes sense. I’m not sure why someone would put something like that on their resume. Wait until you get a job offer first and then ask for accommodations if appropriate.

2 Likes

What about schizophrenia? Do we put: “A tiny booboo of the head?”

6 Likes

You’re supposed to say “overly creative” or “complex minded thinker” that will surely get you a job at NASA.

1 Like

I agree with TomaCat. Such information shouldn’t be disclosed unless necessary. Usually when mental evaluations are necessary, schizophrenia leaves you exempt from being hired.

1 Like

I don’t know nothin’ about NASA except Jeanie’s master worked there.

I think it would be better like this, hon…
Boob on the head lol
I’m recovering from surgery. Just laugh!

1 Like

Man, careful how you laugh, it could open up something.
What was the surgey for?
I hope you have a speedy recovery.

1 Like