Jobs for sz people in NYC resource

Does anyone know where I can find a suitable job for my schizophrenic conditions in nyc. I have severe schizophrenic symptoms (negative symptoms). Could anyone tell me a good website for it and how’d to
find those resources.

1 Like

You can google it

genius. If only I haven’t tried that but thanks it was a worthy opinion

Have you tried vocational rehab? I tried and my place offered a lot of training and part time work in office work or labor or service jobs. I wanted to teach and they strongly discouraged it so I threatened to leave and now they are just let me do what I want and get back to them if I like teaching. There are probably other resources but I don’t know of them too well…

2 Likes

Most counties sponsor programs that help match individuals with mental illness with appropriate jobs. The federal government offers vocational rehab programs as well. Take advantage of these resources.

Jobs available are dependent on skills. Some patients retain high degree of skill sets but most experience cognitive deterioration and disturbed reality testing needing supportive environment and understanding the illness. Any job that requires high degree of attention, concentration and need for sophisticated organization and decision making may not be suitable for people with schizophrenia.

There are a few jobs that exclude people who have severe mental disorders (e.g. military, police officers, etc.); however, for someone who does not have severe symptoms, they pretty much can do any work they really want. Good luck.

1 Like

I know that access -vr is one of those programs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.