Schizophrenia.com

Jazz helps my symptoms/recommendations?

I know its hated on but good relaxing jazz helps my symptoms calm down and calms me down like a few minutes ago i was pulling out my hair and then the thought hit play some jazz and now that im listening to it im extremely calm especially nice piano pieces. Listen to some charles mingus, john coltrane, sun ra, pharoah sanders, bill evans, alice coltrane, miles davis, frank sinatra, kamasi washington. It really helps me calm and relax as long as its very nice and tender to the ears. The voices and horrible thoughts seem to slip away. Anyone know any other good soft jazz (NOT kenny g shit) but nice pleasent stuff to listen. PLEASE POST ANYTHING. Also one for @Rhubot

3 Likes

My all time favorite is So What? By Miles Davis. Also look up Burnout by The Cinematic Orchestra.

1 Like

Check out Chuck Mangione - he’s my favourite. I like all his songs but try listening to “give it all you got” and “if you don’t know me any longer than tomorrow” - former is an upbeat song and latter is a smooth mellow one.

For more traditional jazz, I like lee morgan, roy Hargrove (check out “strausberg St Denis”), chet baker, and Tom harrell (he also has sz)

Earth wind and fire is awesome too.

2 Likes

Tom Harrell plays jazz trumpet and has schizophrenia

Thanks, Rabbit, this is so calming.

My cat recommends bossa nova for chilling out. João Gilberto is her favorite, but also Caetano Veloso, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Luis Bonfa.

This might be outside your scope here, but I also sometimes put on Ella Fitzgerald and close my eyes and drift away. Pretty much everything she does is good, but I recommend the Cole Porter Songbook particularly.

1 Like

Billie Holliday…

1 Like

Oscar Peterson

1 Like
1 Like

Listened to the best of duke Ellington last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 Like

Nina Simone is awesome. She calms me down a lot and so does Coltrane.

2 Likes

Two albums that you can find on youtube I recently fell in love with are Duke Ellingtons “money jungle”, an incredible bass/drums/piano trio, and herbie hancocks “headhunters”, a jazzy funk beauty.

I have to go buy these albums cause I can’t stand the youtube comercial interruptions and I want the greatest quality possible to add to my collection, plus mp3s on my phone for walks will be optimal. These two artist are top notch from what I’ve heard from them so far.

1 Like

Miles Davis& Ella Fitzgerald are awesome…

One of my favs, glad to hear Jazz helps you, I feel the same way.
some awesome recommends in this thread so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPWJCed27ag

1 Like

I don’t know jazz, but listening to Tchaikovsky’s violin concerto always calms me down:

1 Like