It's only money

You’re differentiating character from those qualities you mentioned. I consider them interchangeable. Character to me is the life-affirming value you accrue over time.

Social services cater to those who can’t quite make it in the free market, but it should only be extended to those who are absolutely incapable of working. People who are able bodied and not demonstrating any desire to find a job shouldn’t have their laziness subsidized.

I’m not going to let this turn into a debate over politics. But it is easy for you to declare those who aren’t working as lazy when you have already been deemed disabled by the government. I was not. Even at my sickest, when I could not hold a job,I was declared fit to work. What happened was that I became homeless and nearly died. Because I was deemed too lazy to work, rather than too sick. Better hope it never happens to you.

2 Likes

That’s wrong. I agree. Need better metrics for disability.

The extent of schizophrenia’s disability is hard to gauge with conventional brain imagery. It should be a contrast scan with Evans blue, that will make the blood-brain barrier damage very evident. It doesn’t show up on non-contrast.

I know approximately zero people who aren’t deserving of help when they fall on hard times. People get better when they have the toolsand resources to do so.

Money is essential but it’s not everything

2 Likes

There is the “subsidizing laziness” phenomenon though. I’ve been around people who are just proud of being on welfare, bragging about how they’re going to buy liquor with the check as soon as they get it. This was when I collected disability in person.

This is a fledgling theory and should never be used as a metric. It osn’t even accepted as accurate by most neuroscientists yet. There is a lot of data that needs to be done still. And even then, how do you expect people applying for disability with no insirance to pay for such an expensive test? And that is only for schizophrenia, not other mental, cognitive,and physical disabilities.

I know, it needs more backing. If it works though, it’s a pretty good metric.

I can’t see why it can’t apply to other mental illnesses though, they all seem to be tied to varying levels of chronic brain inflammation.

MRIs are pretty cheap in the states though, I had some done for like $300.

I do agree those people exist. I dont agree that their existence means we should avoid helping thousands of people who need it, on the off chance we might accidentally help someone who doesn’t.

1 Like

This is not accurate, given what I know of neuroscience. I know the brain inflammation theory means a lot to you, but it is not fair to call it a working theory when it is emerging science at best. It could be proven completely incorrect at this point in the game. It is just an idea,and there are dozens of ideas over what causes the brain to misfire. Even if there is some truth to the inflammation model of mental illness,it is likely only a small part of a larger picture.

1 Like

Money should still be respected. But not idolized.
Yeah tell someone who has no money to buy food that it’s only money.

I grew up privileged but also taught to work for it.

2 Likes

I will ask a bull to shitt. And he will refuse. He will say, ‘I will not shitt.’ I will say bull shitt. Then the bull he shitt.

Lawlz

Cheeky Level.

1 Like

That is true. I seem to be making headway personally by pushing that angle though.

Things that reduce my neuroinflammation seem to be reducing my anxiety, for example.

But for it to be a widely accepted phenomenon will require so many resources.

However it makes the most sense to me.

You have articles like this that tie the whole puzzle together:

1 Like

Yeah it is interesting stuff. It is just a long way off from anything other than speculation at this point.

1 Like

Troooth. Living on the streets and eating out of garbage cans gave me a new appreciation for what money is and how it should be used.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity what of other mental illnesses such as PTSD or psycho somatic symptom disorder? Would those show up too. I was too young to work at my sickest but I couldn’t handle school so even if I were older a job wouldnt be an option. This is because of PTSD which in turn caused psychosis that wasnt actually psychosis. My brain/body started doing it as a sort of defense mechanism against severe PTSD. So it was like pseudo-psychosis yet still kept me from functioning.

1 Like

I don’t mind that it has been pointed out that I’ve had some privileges. I think most living people have. Even surviving long enough to be born is a privilege that some humans don’t get.

1 Like

I feel that having a healthy, inflammation-free brain will minimize psychotic experiences. I can’t rule out PTSD as being due to some other psychological phenomenon though.

As for psychosomatic issues, I feel those are largely due to having a weak gut-brain axis. Weak intestinal linings lead to autoimmune issues, and inflammatory compounds from there quickly affect the blood-brain barrier as well.

Lots of autoimmune cofactors with schizophrenia. There are 10x more celiac disease sufferers in the schizophrenic population than in the general populace. Also, celiac patients have 4x more arthritis, roughly.

Could you maybe PM me if you are comfortable with that, and explain this in greater detail? Not the circumstances surrounding the PTSD, but why your doctor thinks your psychosis symptoms were PTSD related? My doctor recently said this is what he suspects my psychosis was all about, but I didn’t really understand it the way he explained it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.