Its ok to feel special isnt it?

I define “special” as being talented, gifted, intelligent, rich or famous. Special is not being delusional, paranoid or hallucinating. Special is not living as a part of the underclass or lumpenproletariat of the social economic status pyramid.

1 Like

I define special as being unique. Every human being is unique regardless of status and therefore special. You can have many talents as someone with schizophrenia. You just need to find them. Many are homeless because they don’t have help. Not because they are not special.

4 Likes

Yes @Resilient1! We are all unique and special in some way. We all have something to contribute to the world. It may just be our personal world, but that’s ok. Actions create new actions and reactions that ripple, eventually the whole world is affected by what we do, and say. We all matter

2 Likes

to me its more of a feeling, and its a way forward, its a reason to live imo being special, feeling special is wonderful, i guess you got to get to that place where you can say without a doubt ‘i am special’

1 Like

Who on this planet would recognize a person that is schizophrenic? People recognize Lebron James for his basketball talent. Jeff Bezos is recognized for his business. Prince Charles is special because he is heir to the British Throne.

Does society recognize a certain homeless person who is schizophrenic at all? I don’t see that person as special but as unfortunate.

1 Like

All I know is that this “special” feeling is common among mentally ill patients who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Ask a psychiatrist how many of their patients have described themselves as being “special”.

2 Likes

John Nash, a famous schizophrenic and mathematician comes to mind. There are artists and musicians who have a mental illness that are very successful. But you are just naming famous people. Not everyone is famous, but everyone is special as a human being. Homeless people have unfortunate lives but that doesn’t make them less meaningful as human beings. There are lot of homeless people who have touched the lives of those around them. It’s possible to contribute to the world as someone with a disability. That is the only point I’m trying to make. I think we’re disagreeing on our definitions of certain words. But personally I do think it is wrong to think that you are less special as a person with a mental illness vs. a successful person with a different disability. You don’t know that famous people don’t have mental illnesses, too. They might not necessarily talk about it to the world because they don’t want to be labeled as someone with a mental illness. There are plenty of people with schizophrenia who are very successful in the world. You just don’t know it.

5 Likes

i’d know if i was delusional but i know what you mean, 'special in that repsect is different,

the kind of respect i am talking about is not delusional it is a sense of worth and wellbeing within yourself, something about yourself that nobody can take away,

now i dont compare myself to anyone, but special in the terms of self worth, self esteem, having something to give, being alive, managing our illness, making the best of things

2 Likes

Schizophrenics are not managing psychiatric wards. Psychiatrists and doctors are administering these hospitals and medical institutions. Nurses follow orders of their superior doctors to put down those of us schizophrenics who are non-compliant or are experiencing psychosis. This description ruins the reputation of a person if they are found to have this disease.

I don’t know how to explain it any further that schizophrenics are not special.

I think I can get down from my podium now. Good night everyone and take care of yourselves. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it is okay. I also feel everyone here is special to someone. Even if they don’t get recognized by the masses. For example, my friends have told me numerous times that I’m a good friend. They’ve also told me things like, “Wish you were here.” It certainly makes me feel like a special part of their life.

3 Likes

Being special, i.e. having a destiny, a purpose, a reason for being a part of this universe,
it’s metaphysical. It is beyond science to explain. You are special. Because life is special.

3 Likes

I see special being defined two different ways here. Talented is one thing, special is another. Everybody’s special in some way, same basic law that applies to snowflakes, no two are identical (except for identical twins). That alone qualifies for some definition of special. Some people are more talented than others but if people find what they are most talented at, they stand a good chance at excelling in that area specifically simply because there are so many different things one can be good at.

4 Likes

“May I suggest to you -This is the best part of your life…You have a world that’s been expressed in you- for you, intended only for your eyes. A secret world like a treasure chest for you With private dreams and endless scenes that mesmerize …” Something like that.

2 Likes

I’m very special.

Needs.

6 Likes

1% is pretty special but that doesn’t define me.

I’m also, for example, a person who has hit 100 runs in a competitive cricket match. Not an easy endevour at any level.

There’s many things that make me unusual just as there’s many a thing that makes me similar.

Perspective is something you can always use.

1 Like

Most of the problems in modern philosophy are problems of language.

Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein

2 Likes

We are pretty special. The odds of being born a human in this universe were something like 1 in 400 trillion.

2 Likes

No way! I bet you pulled that number out of your ass, didn’t you? :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

I think being super positive is a speciality that I also have. Obviously having a schizy life sucks, but I’m really proud of the fact that I’m mentally ill yet I have a brighter outlook on life than all of my friends. Idk maybe I’m not crazy cuz I’m mentally ill, but crazy cuz I’m disgustingly optimistic :blush:

1 Like